5 Must-Visit Parks Less Than an Hour from Oneonta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

One of the many great things about SUNY Oneonta is all the nearby parks that make for a perfect day trip. Here are 5 places consisting of lakes, forests, trails, and more that are located under an hour away.

1. Gilbert Lake State Park

Located in Laurens, New York, this beautiful park is just under a 20-minute drive from Oneonta. With a beach, boat launch, cabins, campground, picnic tables, ice-skating, hiking, biking, and more, there are plenty of activities to choose from. You can even just take a relaxing stroll around the perimeter of the lake – the perfect way to spend a fall afternoon.

2. Wilber Lake

East Street will bring you to this lovely lake in just a matter of minutes. While it tends to be well known as a fishing spot, it’s also a great place to just take a little walk and enjoy the beauty of your surroundings.

3. Robert V. Riddell State Park

If you’re looking for a quaint little spot less than 15 minutes from Oneonta, this is the place for you. It’s located in Davenport and allows for hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and even cross-country skiing. It includes plenty of trails, a stream, and a lake, and is accessible year-round.

4. Betty and Wilbur Davis State Park

With forests, a couple ponds, and gorgeous views, this park is incredibly beautiful and luckily it’s only about 35 minutes away. There are plenty of activities for any season and there are even cabins if you want to spend a night or two there.

5. Glimmerglass State Park

The 45-minute drive is absolutely worth it for this beautiful park that overlooks Otsego Lake and includes the oldest covered bridge in the United States. It’s located in Cooperstown and accommodates activities for any season, such as hiking, fishing, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing.

Marie is currently a junior at SUNY Oneonta studying Psychology and minoring in Spanish. In her free time you can find her laughing with her friends, hiking, or eating mac&cheese.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen