Style > Beauty

5 Hair Care Steps You’re Totally Neglecting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

If you know me, you’d know I’m religious about my hair and everything that touches it. A time in the (not so distant) past, I had some of the worst tresses I’ve ever laid my eyes on. I’m not using hyperbole here. Seriously, I’m not. My hair, which tends to be wild and curly by nature, was limp and stringy. It was brittle and thin too! So thin, that I could pin all of my hair to the back of my head with a single bobby pin. Yeah, now you’re scared. Fortunately, I learned a thing or two on my journey to reviving my once full, long, thick curly mane. #youarewelcome

1) Haircuts

Yeah, I didn’t say these steps would be all fun and games. A lot of beauty bloggers with naturally resilient, strong, and thick hair will tell you to block your hair dressers number, throw away all visible scissors and move at least 100 miles from the nearest salon. Well Miss I-have-perfect-hair-blah-blah-blah, some of us aren’t as fortunate. Cutting the damage from my hair (slowly but surely) really did improve the look, feel, and growth of my hair. By cutting off the stringy ends I lost some length, but I didn’t resemble a wet dog anymore either. You can go the ‘big chop’ route or get routine trims depending on the amount of damage you have tortured your hair with.

2) Protective Styling

Mhm this is a good one for you lazy ladies. In the colder months, the harsh temperatures can have a large impact on the health of your hair. The cold, dry air, well….makes your hair dry (go figure?). If it’s like a freakin’ tundra outside and you still have to walk to your 10 am lecture like me, protect that mane! Braid it, put it in a bun or cover it in a hat. The same applies for those summer months. Yes, I get that you want to walk down the beach like Aquamarine with your flowing locks in slow motion, but if the sun is scorching, cover your hair up with a cute lil’ hat.

3) Proper Detangling

Detangling your hair gently is the key to preventing that terrible, dreaded breakage. Treat your hair like gold! Try finger detangling in the shower and if that isn’t enough, always opt for a wide tooth comb (no brushes especially for you curlies)!

4) Moisturizing

If you have curly or wavy hair, this step is extremely important. I don’t just mean conditioning either. If you have curls you need to add moisture to your hair everyday, as curls tend to be on the drier side. If you have straight hair, try three times a week to keep your ends healthy. My favorite method is LCO (liquid, conditioner, oil). Basically, you spray your hair with water (or rose water if you’re fancy), follow with a leave in conditioner, and seal in the moisture with an oil.

5) Sleep Habits

Yup that’s right, sleeping can hurt your hair too. As someone who has a problem with overactive dreams, I tend to toss and turn a bit. The friction of your cotton pillow case against your strands can be damaging. This can lead to breakage, split ends and knotted hair. Try opting for a silk pillowcase or a silk hair cap. The silk will leave your hair soft and shiny and is great for your skin, too!

I hope these tips can help you out in whatever your hair journey is!

HCXO,

Karly

Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!