30 Day Kindness Challenge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

The end of the semester is usually a difficult time for most students, and we could always use a pick-me-up every once in a while. With beautiful weather approaching us, it only feels right to spread some joy and sunshine all around us. So if you or anyone you know has been feeling down in the dumps and stressed out because of finals, I challenge you to this 30 day kindness challenge to help lift some spirits around you and get this kindness ball rolling!

1. Write a thank you card ‘just because’

2. Speak to someone who looks lonely at a social event

3. Lend a friend your favorite book/movie

4. Encourage someone who is working hard

5. Hand out flowers to friends or strangers

6. Pay for the order for the person behind you in line

7. Write a kind/funny note and leave it in a book in the library for the next person to find

8. Give someone an unsolicited compliment

9. Donate blood

10. Volunteer at an animal shelter, soup kitchen, and/or nursing home

11. Give up your seat for someone else

12. Pick up any trash/litter that you see

13. Give a gift to someone, just because

14. Hold the door for others (even if it’s 20 people)

15. Reach out to someone that you haven’t talked to in a while

16. Lend someone your umbrella

17. Leave a bigger tip than you normally would

18. Help tutor a struggling student

19. Plan a fun night (in or out) for you and your friends

20. Be courteous when driving

21. Call one of your relatives for a nice heart-to-heart

22. Treat your co-workers to a nice sweet treat

23. Do a 5k for a good cause

24. Plant a tree

25. Write letters to soldiers

26. Take a day not to complain

27. Donate old clothes/belongings to a charity shop

28. Feed birds in the park

29. Give everyone you see a big smile

30. Take a day to be kind to YOURSELF!

The point of this challenge isn’t to complete everything on this list, but to use this as a guideline or kick starter to get you in the mindset of kindness! Even if you only do one of these things, you’ve already made a difference in someone else’s day. And most importantly, always remember to be kind to yourself, whether if that’s sleeping 8+ hours in one night, giving yourself time to read a good book, or just walking outside to soak up some sun, just remember that you deserve some kindness too!

Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.