10 Things to Bring Back After Columbus Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Whether you are looking forward to going home or having a few days off during Columbus Weekend, you’ve probably already made a list of things you need to bring back to campus. If you haven’t, you’re in luck! I’ve come up with 10 things that I feel are a definite must have from now till’ Thanksgiving Break.

PHOTO CREDIT: Google Images

1.     Hot Chocolate, Tea Bags, and a Warm Blanket.

You’ve probably had your coffee maker or Keurig all set up since move-in weekend, but you’ll definitely want to bring back some decaf hot tea and hot cocoa for those cold winter nights that are fast approaching. I don’t know about you, but I’m all for wrapping myself in a warm blanket with some hot cocoa when it’s too chilly to go out at night.

PHOTO CREDIT: Google Images           

2.     Sweaters.

This one is probably #1 on your list if you’ve already started creating one. Personally, I already have most of my sweaters at campus because I am absolutely addicted to everything cozy. Plus from now till May you’ll probably be wearing nothing but sweaters, so you might as well stock up and bring them all.          

3.     Business Casual Wear.

I’m honestly shocked that I know so many people who’ve already made special trips to Southside to find Business Casual wear for presentations or speeches in class. I feel like you absolutely need to have an assortment of different professional outfits because in most classes you will be graded on how you dress during a presentation. So if you don’t have any business attire, I suggest you hit up your mom’s closet or the mall ASAP.

PHOTO CREDIT: Google Images           

4.     Hats/Gloves/Scarves.

If you’re new to Oneonta, be warned: it’s going to get very cold very soon! Morning and night classes will be even more brutal due to Oney’s infamous winter weather. On the bright side, you can use winter accessories to spice up any plain outfit. So at least you’ll look cute even if your fingers feel like they’re about to fall off.

5.     Fuzzy Socks.

When my feet are warm and happy, I’m happy. Whether you’re chilling in the dorm room   or walking around campus, warm socks are perfect.

6.     Rain & Winter Boots.

This is another obvious yet very important thing to add to your list. But again, I can’t stress enough how fast the cold is going to come this year. I know we’re all dreading snow and have already been through many rainy days this semester, but footwear to accommodate the weather is essential.

PHOTO CREDIT: Google Images

7.   Canned Food (Soup!!).

Everyone will be bringing plenty of snack foods back to campus, but I’m also bringing back Progresso soup and Chef Boyardee. I can get really lazy and not want to make the trip to Mills or Wils during the colder weather, so my pantry full of canned food will be my saving grace.

8.    Halloween Costume(s).

Halloweekend is coming up and personally I am still trying to decide on a costume… or two… or three. Whether you’re planning on going out all three nights or attending themed events on campus, you’ll need at least one costume. But that doesn’t mean you have to spend a lot of money! Go to the Salvation Army or simply look in your closet at home and throw something together. Be creative!

9.   Winter Coats.

Bring them. Enough said.

PHOTO CREDIT: Google Images

10.  Fall Fragrances

I definitely recommend going to Bath and Body Works over the break and sampling all the cozy scents they have. I personally want to get some warm scented perfume and hand soaps for the fall season. Embrace autumn with all of its delicious pumpkin latte and apple crisp scents.

From all of here at HC Oneonta, we hope you have an enjoyable Columbus Day Break with safe travels!

HCXO,

Barbara Parsons

Barbara Parsons is a previous writer of HC Oneonta, and is now an alumni of SUNY Oneonta. Barbara loves playing rugby, Chinese food, binge-watching How I Met Your Mother, and baby emperor penguins. You can follow Barbara on Twitter and Instagram @BarbaraJoyce3
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen