10 College Women Share Their Opinions on the Women’s March

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Throughout history, protest has always been used to make voices heard. From the Women’s Suffrage Parade to the Civil Rights March led by MLK, and now yesterday’s Women’s March, hoards of people uniting to speak out against injustice has been a vital part of what makes America so great. So it is incredibly disappointing to see how much backlash the Women’s March and its sister marches have gotten. From trending tags on twitter like #RenameTheWomensMarch and its incredibly sexist responses, to well-known idiots like Piers Morgan announcing a “Men’s March” in return, the opposition is nothing less than disheartening.

However, hope can still be found on the other side, with so many women and supportive men rising up against the sexism of their oppressors. It is so inspiring to see so many people joined together, fighting for human rights and refusing to be ignored. I asked 10 college girls for their opinions on yesterday’s Women’s Marches and the responses I got made me proud to be a woman and hopeful for our future as women:

“I think it’s important that the marches have spread nationally because it shows unity of women across the nation.” –Jesika, 20

“I think [the marches] are wonderful! Women getting together all over the country, all over the world even, to show the rest of the world that we will not let our rights be ignored. Protests like these are what this country is made of!” –Alyshia, 18

“It’s amazing to see women of all different races and religions and different background come together and fight side by side. As a young woman, it’s inspirational to see women can stand as one and be a force to be reckoned with.” –Amanda, 20

“I think [the march] sends a powerful message that its cause can unite so many women and men.” –Meagan, 22

“I think it’s super important that people are participating in the marches all over the world. We’re definitely stronger together!” –Sara, 19

“I was on a ruck march and watched a guy walking extremely close to a female soldier (which is both invasive and dangerous in real combat). She told him to back up and he responded with, ‘someone must not have taken her Midol today.’ That’s how I know why almost 700 marches were going on across the country yesterday.” –Krissy, 22

“I think it’s not just about women’s rights, but about any group of people who have felt oppressed by President Trump. So I think this is just the start of unrest within the American people under his presidency, and it is so important that we keep having our voices heard.” –Jane, 20

“It’s so inspiring to see women all over the world coming together as one. The generations before us fought for our freedom of speech and we have to use it! I’m proud of all the women who marched so their voices could be heard!” –Jess, 18

“Right now we’re in a time where we don’t have a leader to lean on for unity and guidance, but rather it’s our new president that seems to be dividing us. We need these marches so we can find this leadership and unity amongst ourselves, and join together to make our voices heard and to show that we are not defeated and do not plan on backing down. We cannot let this hate-filled man divide us further than we already are!” –Jordan, 18

“I went to one of the marches, it was really an amazing experience. There were so many different types of people that all came together. Seeing everyone gather to support love and peace was very refreshing and it gave me hope toward a better future, no matter who our leader is.” –Olivia, 20

In all, these beautiful women are spreading a message of hope and unity amongst their peers and amongst the entire nation, as well as a very real understanding of the sexism we continue to face. It is so important that we continue to speak up and speak out. We have a difficult battle ahead of us but this really is just the beginning!

Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen