Top 5 Fall 2011 Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

Fall is here and now is the time to try out the new trends of the season! Trying out trends can be fun and tricky at the same time. The key to donning a new look from the runways is to not copy the look, but to re-create the look with your own sense of style. Wearing new styles in fashion is about being a risk-taker, but also making it your own rendition of the trend.

As seen on the runways in February, Fall 2011’s top trends are:

1. Style Spotted: Polka Dot Trend

From micro dots to bold graphic spots, polka dots are this season’s stripes

Marc Jacobs Fall 2011
source: style.com

[pagebreak]

2. Mustard Hue Trend
Not your usual fall color, but this bold hue looks fabulous paired with neutral and metallic separates and bold accessories.

Marc by Marc Jacobs Fall 2011
Source: style.com

[pagebreak]

3. Maxi Skirt Trend

This season’s theme is more is more. Trade those mini skirts for a more classic maxi-length skirt. A maxi skirt will make a great fall staple that can be worn with a chic pair of boots and a knit sweater or cardigan.

Milly Fall 2011
Source: style.com

[pagebreak]

4. Bright Pants Trend

This fall season is all about color. Why wear traditional fall colors such as brown or grey, when you can be bursting out this season with fall’s biggest trend: brightly colored pants. The trick to sporting this trend is to pair a brightly colored pant with a basic white, black, or grey top. 

3.1 Phillip Lim Fall 2011
source: style.com

[pagebreak]

5. Working-Girl Dress Trend

This fall, trade your leggings or jeans for a 70’s inspired working dress. This dress is feminine, flowy, and an easy to wear just by itself, or you can also throw on some layers and accessories to show off your personal style.

Twenty8Twelve Fall 2011
Source: style.com

Shop these Fall fashion trends at the various chic boutiques at the square in Oxford, Mississippi.

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.