Seven Easy-to-Keep New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By: Darby Radcliff

It’s the New Year and now you have the chance to put bad habits in the past and move forward by making some New Year’s resolutions, as well as making some positive changes in your life.

But, we all know New Year’s resolutions are easy to make, but hard to keep, so, here is a list of seven easy-to-keep New Year’s resolutions that will benefit your Mind, Body, and Soul.

For Your Mind: 

1. Less Clutter, More Clarity
Clear the clutter of social media overload by getting on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and etc. less, and instead give yourself some quiet time and read a book.

2. Get Organized
Getting organized is a reasonable goal for the New Year, and it will be a positive change because it will give your home and workspace some clarity and peace by reducing the clutter in your life and putting everything in its own place. Also, with a more organized home, you will be less stressed because items now will be easy to find.  

3. Learn Something New
Keep life interesting by learning something new such as a new language, new sport, new game, etc. This easy-to-do New Year’s resolution will help take your daily routine from being boring to being filled with new opportunities and exciting new adventures.   

For Your Body:

1. Fit in Fitness
Fitting in fitness in your daily routine is an easy resolution to keep for the New Year, and plus the upcoming summer season should motivate you to want to get fit for swimsuit season. Start trying to do cardio for 30 minutes a day and make sure to drink lots of water in order to stay in shape for the Spring season.

2. Quit Tanning Beds for Good
Tanning beds are torturous for your skin, and that short-term glow you get from fake tanning is a high-risk for cancer because according to current research, the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before the age of 30. This deathly risk should be enough motivation to keep this New Year’s resolution.

3. Stop Late-Night Snacking
Cutting out late-night snacking should be everyone’s New Year’s resolution because according to a Northwestern Graduate student named Deanna Arble, “When you eat at the wrong time, your body will take the calories and store them as fat because you don’t need the calories for fuel at that time.”  

For Your Soul:

1.Be Nicer to People
Gain respect with others in society by being more polite and saying nice things like “thank you” and “please.”  This simple New Year’s resolution can certainly take you a long way in life and will help to build bridges and connections with other people. 

2. Don’t Go to Bed Angry
Going to bed angry is a negative habit that can easily be reversed. This is an important aspect of someone’s life to change because a bad night’s sleep can lead to conflict during the day, which can in turn lead to more bad sleep the following night. 

Darby Radcliff is a junior at Ole Miss majoring in Magazine Journalism, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at Ole Miss, as well as a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority. Besides having a passion for journalism, Darby has always had a strong interest in fashion, and has had the amazing opportunity to attend and cover runway shows and fashion presentations for various fashion editorial sites and style blogs during Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City, Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Swim in Miami, as well as she has covered L.A. Fashion Week.