This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

By Abbey Edmonson    

Why do we not give compliments to people more often?  Honestly, when has a genuine and sincere compliment ever made a person’s day worse?  Most people are too timid or unsure of the outcome to speak up about their positive opinions towards another person.  But why?  I strongly believe that anyone’s day can be instantly turned around by a random compliment.  So why are people seemingly scared to spread positivity throughout their days?

I’m not going to lie, I too have fallen victim to compliment stage-fright.  Sometimes I think that girl is too intimidating or that boy will think I’m weird.  But guess what?  That girl probably really could have used that compliment, and that boy probably would’ve appreciated a little acknowledgment.  

For example, I recently had to wake up much earlier than I’m used to.  I rolled out of bed with no makeup, Uggs, and a rat’s nest on top of my head.  It was a struggle.  Let’s face it, the struggle happens pretty much everyday.  I was eating breakfast, thinking about how I could actually feel the puffiness of my sleep-deprived eyes, when my friend, Morgan, came up to me and said, “You look so beautiful.”

Immediately, I started laughing, thinking she had to be kidding.  I sarcastically said thank you and proceeded to comb my hair out with my fingers.  Morgan then said, “You always look so beautiful.”  I turned to look at her, and she the look on her face was 100% sincere.  The fact that she gave me such a gracious compliment on a day when I least expected one made me appreciate her words so much more.  She didn’t have to compliment me.  She didn’t have to say anything at all.  But she did, and my day was instantly made so much better because of it.  

So why stay silent?  Why hold back the words that could pivotally change someone’s entire day?  Compliments don’t have to be about looks or superficial things.  In fact, complimenting a deeper quality of a person often has an even stronger effect than acknowledging something on the outside.  All it takes is one sentence.  So many people are scared to speak those few words that could mean so much.  It’s time to break free of that shell.  This world is overdue for a dose of positivity, so let’s do something about it!  Let’s all be little rays of sunshine, why not?

Go forth and be the light; see ya later beautiful!

Sarah Smith

Ole Miss '20

Sarah is a Journalism student at the University of Mississippi. She is currently working on her first novel which she hopes to be published before she finishes college in 2020. Nerd to the heart, Sarah is always blasting Guardians of the Galaxy in her car, and her dorm or house is where the nerdy movie and book fest never ends. She aspires to be a lifestyles magazine writer and a novelist after college.