Meet Sophomore Croft Senator, Rachel Culp!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

Meet Rachel Culp, Croft Senator! Rachel is currently a sophomore majoring in International Studies and French. Our Campus Correspondent Katie Davis did a quick interview with Rachel on the Croft Porch a.k.a the “Crorch”  to get the scoop on Ole Miss’s International Studies Program, Croft Senate, and the life of this Ohian in the South.

HC: Where are you from?

RC: Troy, OH (Although I guess at some point I have to start claiming Texas, my parents moved there a year ago!)

HC: What is your birthday?

RC: May 8, 1998… aka “Ma-8th”

HC: Do you have any fun nicknames?

RC: None, really, except sometimes “Ratchet” in high school. Clearly an affectionate nickname.

HC: Are you part of a sorority?

Yes! Kappa Kappa Gamma.

HC: If you had a spirit animal, what would it be?

RC: Seahorse. The males carry the baby, enough said.

HC: Who is your role model?

RC: Emma Watson. She is Hermione, she is Belle, she is a UN Ambassador. What more could you want in a role model? Oh, and that accent though.

HC: What are some extracurricular activities that you are a part of?

RC: Croft Senate, Global Ambassadors, and the Feed the Hunger committee.  

HC: What exactly is Croft Senate?

RC:  First of all, Croft is the program that all international studies majors are in. (It’s short for the Croft Institute for International Studies!) So, Croft Senate is the body which represents the different cohorts within Croft. Each school year, each cohort of Croft votes for 3 representatives for the Croft Senate. The Senate meets 1 every 2 weeks or so and deals with anything the students want: game day stickers, tshirts, sweatshirts, and of course CROM! (Crom is the formal for Croft students only… Croft + prom = Crom).

HC: What are your signature dance moves?

RC: Cat daddy, or the dougie.

HC: Your biggest pet peeve?

RC: Probably indecision. Also when people smack their gum.

HC: What about your favorite spot at Ole Miss?

RC: Croft room 201. I would like to be buried there.

HC: Oxfordian food you will never get tired of?

RC: The jambalaya from Oby’s, or chicken and dumplings from Ajax. The northerner in me is all about the southern home cooking.

HC: Where can you be found on a typical Friday night?

RC: Probably at the Taco Shop in the afternoon for some chorizo tacos, and then just hanging out with friends at one of our houses in the evening.

HC: Favorite memory at Ole Miss so far?

RC: My favorite memory at Ole Miss thus far would have to be when my best friend and I threw an impromptu cake fight in the middle of the Grove. Literal cake throwing. It was a magical day.

HC: What about most embarrassing?

RC: My most embarrassing memory thus far would have to be tripping on my way into the stadium on game day and having probably hundreds of people watch me just fall flat on my face. Good times.

HC: Finally do you have any advice for someone coming to Ole Miss?

RC: I think what I love about Ole Miss and what I struggle with at Ole Miss are really one in the same. There is such an atmosphere to succeed, be the best, and overachieve. Which is amazing! But that can also be exhausting. It is so competitive to run for and join different activities and organizations, which is how it should be, but also what can make things really difficult. It can make you feel like a failure way too much. So, I think my advice would be to throw yourself in 100%, but also make sure you have surrounded yourself by true friends who won’t care what organization you’re in, but about who you are.

SaveSave

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.