This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ole Miss chapter.

by Taylor Cabrera

I know from personal experience that sometimes it can be hard to get up in the morning. Your bed is so comfy and it’s so early, right? I know how much you’d probably rather be binge-watching the latest season of “Narcos” that you still have yet to catch up on since last semester! Or just lying on the couch listening to music while you cuddle your pup. I get it, it’s hard to overcome your desire to do nothing. It’s hard, but it’s doable. Here are a few tips on overcoming college slump:

1. Get involved! College may be tough but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t also be fun! Getting involved gives you a sense of community and being around people with similar interests as you should give you energy and keep you motivated! Having something that you enjoy doing makes you more likely to look forward to your day! And making new friends while you’re at it? Just an added bonus!

2. Make a schedule or keep a planner! With all the classes, advisor appointments, and club meetings, it may be overwhelming. This can be even more so if you have one or two jobs on top of that! Kudos to you for keeping yourself busy. It’s no wonder you just want to relax sometimes. Having so much to do sometimes makes me want to do nothing! You feel like you have so much that you don’t know where to start. So you don’t. But it’s still important to get things done! It’s very helpful to have a planner so that you can keep track of your week and manage your time accordingly! Having your endless list of responsibilities organized in a planner or schedule will make it easier to get started and get them done!

3. Stay accountable! Doing some things like running errands or getting your oil changed— things we would like to call “adulting” — are boring. No one likes doing them. I always seem to find a reason to back out of doing the things like that. The best solution to that would honestly be to get your butler, Alfred, to do it for you. But not everyone can be Batman. So we have to find other things to make us do them. One of the best solutions is to keep yourself accountable. Make plans to run errands with your friends and offer to drive. That way, if you have a conscious, you would feel too bad to back out. You would get your errands done, spend time with your friend, and your friend would get their errands done! It’s a win-win-win situation! I’ve recently started doing that with the gym. If I try to skip the gym, my friends make me feel terrible, and then I just HAVE to go!

Get the optimal amount of sleep! According to a Stanford study, college students should be getting at least 8 hours of sleep each night. Without a decent night’s sleep, it makes sense that you would feel unmotivated to get up. Hitting that snooze button gets you five more minutes of sleep, and who can turn that down? However, if you get enough sleep at night, it’ll be easier to get up in the mornings.

HC Ole Miss
Katie Davis

Ole Miss '18

.