T’khari Fisher: Campus Role Model

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Name: T’khari Fisher

Hometown: Brooklyn, NY

Birthday: January 3rd

Major: Media and Communications

Grad date: May ’17

Did you always know you wanted to be a media major?

No, I started out as a Visual Arts major for electronic media. I wanted to do graphic design more. What changed my mind is that in high school I used to be part of the journalism club, and when I came to SUNY Old Westbury my first class was Intro to Journalism. I was like Oh! That’s pretty interesting! I realized that media is a kind of versatile major, so even if I were a graphic designer it is kind of in the same industry. So I was like alright! This is it!

Why did you choose SUNY Old Westbury?

My parents recommended it to me because my dad came here as well. I like the fact that it’s close to home.

What do you love the most about the school?

In my circumstance, I live on campus; my first roommate is Nigerian, my second roommate who is now one of my best friends is Romanian, my third roommate for sophomore year was Korean. I guess my favorite thing about the school is diversity!  You have similar basis’ of thinking but then it’s always going to be different, you never know. That’s what I love about the school!

What is the most interesting thing about you that not everybody knows?

Actually, the most interesting thing about me that surprisingly a lot of people don’t know is that I’m a twin! I keep forgetting that I don’t tell people that I’m a twin. I get reactions like “What? Since when?” Well hum, since I was born! LOL

What is your favorite thing about yourself?

Back to the whole diversity thing, you go to some school, let’s say in Brooklyn, and you see cliques. There’s a group of African Americans, a group of Asian, Latinos and so on and for me I just hang out with everybody! I don’t give in to social pressure; I don’t have to be with a group of people that have the same thoughts that I do. I just like talking to different people! I know how to hang out with people that represent me. Some of my friends may have the same values that I do and I know to listen to other people that don’t, too. I’ve learned to be more open to things.

Where do you want to be after graduation?

Professionally, I still have no idea. Even though I’m the News Director at the radio station (Old Westbury Web Radio), it’s very stressful and I’m always busy. As much as I like doing news, I don’t like the long hours and spending all my time only on that. What I do love doing, actually, is filming. I like to edit videos, so it’s always the postproduction kind of stuff. I guess professionally and personally I just want to be a producer. Kind of …LOL!

From your experience, what would your advice be to an incoming freshman?

Don’t be f$#*ing stupid! Freshman year is like the one time that you can have fun and whatever but don’t take it too lightly! As a freshman I started out with a 3.8 GPA and now I have 3.6. It’s hard to bring up your GPA especially if you’re doing a bunch of other things. I would recommend a freshman to not be an idiot and actually take your time with partying. I took time out to do so but I also knew when to go to the library with my books and study as much as I can. I wanted to pass all my classes with A’s and B pluses or try to do

Nathalie Ligonde is a senior at SUNY at Old Westbury majoring in Media and Communications. She is a Campus Co-Correspondent at Her Campus at Old Westbury. Ligonde is passionate about travelling, writing and learning new languages. She enjoys binging TV shows and movies on Netflix and loves hanging out with her friends. Her dream is to make a difference in the world by inspiring people to love themselves and others for who they are. You can follow her on Instagram to see all her adventures: @nathzwhatz