The Only Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe You’ll Ever Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Everyone looks for their chocolate chip cookie to be the best combination of crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Luckily, I have a recipe that can make all your crispy, chewy, chocolatey dreams come true. I came across this recipe on Gimme Some Oven and with a couple of my personal twists, it is an absolute life changer.

The secret is cornstarch! Cornstarch makes sure your cookies will come out chewy and soft.

The other secret is light brown sugar. Yes, dark brown sugar can be easily substituted. However, the lower amount of molasses in the light brown sugar compliments the other flavors in the cookies. Dark brown sugar can be too overpowering with a nutty, toffee flavor.

A final secret is your R-E-F-R-I-G-E-R-A-T-O-R. Soft dough likes the cold. By refrigerating the dough before baking, it will gel all the ingredients together and keeps that chewy, gooey texture alive.

I call these cookies “The Make-Up Chocolate Chip Cookies” because they’re exactly that. When my boyfriend and I broke up, I realized what I needed to do to win him back. The way to his heart is food, specifically chocolate chip cookies, and these really sealed the deal of wifey status.

If you’re drooling with anticipation, the wait is over. Here’s the only chocolate chip cookie recipe you will ever need for the rest of your baking life:

The Make-Up Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter (softened, so leave that baby out for a few hours beforehand)

1/2 cup light brown sugar (don’t be afraid to let a little extra get in the bowl)

1/2 cup granulated white sugar

1 egg

2 teaspoons vanilla extract (make sure it’s good, extracts do expire!)

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon of salt (not only does it add to the saltiness of the cookie, but helps them rise too!)

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. In a bowl, use a mixer to cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until all that love is fully incorporated. 

Slowly add in the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix on a low speed until combined. Finally, stir in the star ingredient: chocolate chips, with a spatula.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (this ensures the cookies will bake to their chewiest, and gives you an easy clean-up!) Using a small ice cream scoop, plop the dough balls onto the sheet. Place the cookies in the fridge for about 20 minutes.

Bake these bad boys for about 12 minutes. The centers of the cookies are going to look undercooked, but trust me on this one. Let them cool for about 10 minutes before transferring them to a rack to finish cooling. 

And there you have it! Beautiful chewy, gooey, chocolate-y, wonder cookies. This recipe makes about 15 cookies, so plan accordingly if you have a group of cookie monsters on your hands.

SaveSave

Michelle is pursuing a degree in Media and Communications at SUNY Old Westbury. All that really matters to her are cute dogs, good food, and making her dreams come true. As a wise woman once said, "Never apologize for being a powerful f*cking woman."
Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island