Here’s what the Founders of the Women’s March had to Say at NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

As we’ve been seeing, feminism has been the must-have statement piece on the catwalk at this year’s New York Fashion Week.  First, the Council of Fashion Designers of America created pink pins reading “Fashion Stands With Planned Parenthood” which were distributed along with a card providing information on how to support P.P., donate money, and contact your local representatives.  Diane von Furstenberg, Narciso Rodriguez, Tori Burch, and Zac Posen were among designers either wearing the pins or including them in their shows.

Last Saturday, designer Prabal Gurung concluded his show with models, including plus-sized women, donning shirts with phrases like “Nevertheless, She Persisted” and “The Future is Female.”  “I wanted to capture what I felt there,” said Gurung, according to The Hollywood Reporter.  “I can’t speak for anyone else, but having come from where I come from — from Nepal and a single mother who brought us up — it’s been my thing since day one… So to me feminism is not just a trending topic,” he stated.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

On Monday night, feminism’s most current “it-girls,” the founders of the Women’s March on Washington, opened up designer Mara Hoffman’s show with powerful political statements.  Hoffman invited Linda Sarsour, Tamika Mallory, Carmen Perez, and Bob Bland – who even had her baby with her on stage!

Source: Theo Wargo/Getty Images

Bland began with a portion of the Women’s march mission statement: “We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us. Hear our voices.”

Perez stated: “Unity, love and strength, with a message that women’s rights are human rights. We stand together in solidarity, recognizing that our vibrant and diverse community are the strength of our country. Hear our voice.”

Sarsour started off with a Maya Angelou quote: “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.”

And she continued with part of the official Women’s March platform: “We affirm our shared humanity and pronounce our bold message of resistance and determination.”  

She added, “We must create a society in which all women are free.”

Mallory continued: “It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept and celebrate those differences. We work peacefully while recognizing that there is no true peace until there is justice and equity for all. Hear our voice.”

Perhaps Mara Hoffman was inspired to extend this invite after participating in the Washington D.C. march this past January holding a sign that read “Unite with Love, Resist with Love.”  After attending the march, Hoffman told the Washington Post, “The turnout was unbelievable to me. There was this kind of ‘holy cow’ moment; these women just pulled off something I’ve never seen before. In response to seeing that incredible thing happening, how do you continue that?”

And her efforts to continue that were evident throughout last night’s fall 2017 show.  The collection of clothing had a “utilitarian” feel, featuring stretchy and loose fitting items, that were more practical for movement rather than being super feminine and delicate.  

Source: Theo Wargo/Getty Images

After the founders gave their opening remarks, models danced while Maya Angelou’s poem “Phenomenal Woman” was recited.  The poem includes lines such as “I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size” and “Men themselves have wondered What they see in me. They try so much But they can’t touch My inner mystery.”

The program for Hoffman’s show even stated “This show is inspired by the women whose songs are not yet sung, the allies, the named and the nameless. I dedicate this to the women who are constantly creating in the name of change.”

Thank you, Mara Hoffman.

Deirdre Bardolf

Old Westbury

"With freedom, books, flowers, and the moon, who could not be happy?" Student, 22. Long Island