This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

Self-care.

We’ve all heard of it, we all know we need it, but it never seems like there are enough hours in the day to actually do it.

Here are three simple ways that you can incorporate more self-care into your routine:

1. Schedule it in. One of the easiest ways to make sure you have time to devote to self-care is to schedule it into your life. Treat it like any other meeting or appointment that you schedule, and put it on your calendar. Try to set aside at least 20 minutes per day for some sort of self-care.

2. Work self-care into responsibilities that you already have. On super busy days, it can be tough to find dedicated self-care times. On these days, try to incorporate self-care into the responsibilities that you already have, such as drinking a hot cup of tea while you’re working, or doing a face mask while you’re studying.

3. Set aside time to practice self-care with friends. With hectic lives, it can feel impossible to have a social life AND practice self-care. Combine the two by having a self-care night with your friends! Not only do you get to enjoy their company, but you all get to take care of yourselves at the same time.

While finding time for self-care can be intimidating, it doesn’t have to be as difficult as it seems. Try these tips for incorporating self-care, and you’ll see the benefits for your mental health!

Colleen Werner is a junior psychology major at SUNY Old Westbury, and she plans on going to graduate school to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor who specializes in Eating Disorders. She also aspires to start an eating disorder treatment created specifically for dancers. Her Instagram account/blog, @leenahlovesherself, which centers around body-positivity, self-love, eating disorder awareness, and mental health has deeply inspired thousands, and after creating the hashtag #BopoBallerina, Colleen was featured by Yahoo, National Eating Disorders Association, Dailymotion, A Plus, Dance.com, and several international news outlets. In addition to her work on her Instagram, Colleen is a member of the Advisory Panel for YPAD (Youth Protection Advocates in Dance), a National Ambassador for Project HEAL, and a Brand Ambassador for Wear Your Label.
Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.