10 Things No One Tells You About Having A Kitten

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Old Westbury chapter.

As a recent mom of a three month old kitten, I can definitely say I was 100 percent unprepared for this journey. Everyone tells you cats are easy — just provide food, water and litter. “They can take care of themselves.” I’m still being told that two weeks into raising Artemis, and it is a bold faced lie. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:

1. They can (and will) wake you up at random parts of the night just to so you can pet them.

2. Your kitten will climb over every counter, chair, and table they see no matter how many times you tap their nose and say no.

3. Cats are not fans of water, but if you get them used to bath’s young enough, they will suffer through it.

4. If you’re going to feed them wet food, don’t expect them to eat kibble ever again.

5. Anything and everything will cause diarrhea, from changing their brand of food to taking them out for an appointment. Trust me, my kitten pooped in her carrier after getting carsick two minutes away from her vet.

6. When they lick your face and hair, they might actually like you.

7. Cat trees are the best cat invention, hands down. Invest in a sturdy one!

8. Your kitten is like every other millennial. Put a bird video from YouTube on your phone and they’re not going to let you have it back.

9. Don’t do what I did and keep a (faux!) fur rug in your room, or your kitten is going to be hacking up furballs and, of course, have diarrhea.

10. You will get overwhelmed and scared, but no other animal will love you they way a kitten does.

If you’re interested in adopting a kitten who loves you just as much as mine loves me, head over to the North Shore Animal League shelter in Port Washington. They rescue those babies from kill shelters around the country so you can give them a real home. Trust me, they’re worth it.

Senior at SUNY Old Westbury. Political activist who enjoys Ferragamo, cats and the color green.
Jessinta Smith

Old Westbury

Jessinta is a Media and Communications major at SUNY Old Westbury, and has written for varying outlets including Out.com and StudyBreaks. She edits, writes, and is CC for HCOW, and discusses everything from mental health to politics. To see more of her work or get in contact with her, visit jessintawrites.wordpress.com.