Student Leader Melissa Mock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

As the 2011 Campus Activities Council (CAC) Chair, Senior Melissa Mock knows a thing or two about being in the spotlight. Here, the International and Area Studies Senior opens up to Her Campus about what life is like as one of OU’s student leaders.

HC OU: How do you start your day? Do you have a morning routine?
I usually wake up around 7:01 (I don’t like waking up to “even” times, such as 0’s or 5’s). After that, I’ll run for 30 minutes to an hour, get ready for the day, spend some time reading the Bible, then head to campus.

HC OU: What activities are you involved in both on and off campus?

• Campus Activities Council
  • Paradigm Norman
  • OU Cousins Advisory Board
  • Crimson Club
  • Big Brothers, Big Sisters
  • River Church

HC OU: What inspired you to run for CAC Chair?
I love CAC, but there were changes I wanted to see happen to make it an even better organization. I decided to take a proactive step and run, in order to make those changes a reality. 

HC OU: What are you hoping to accomplish in your time as CAC Chair?
I would love to see CAC open up and include even more people than it has in the past. We plan on doing this by working with other student organizations, as well as through the creation of our new event, which will appeal to a new crowd. This year, our team is going to work hard to make positive changes, which will better serve the student body and help CAC reach its potential.

HC OU: What is your favorite part about being CAC Chair?
All the different people I get to meet… I enjoy seeing how they uniquely contribute to CAC. I’ve been exposed to many different student organizations and areas of campus that I didn’t know much about before, which has greatly enriched my college experience. 

HC OU: And your favorite part of being an OU student?
I love the community atmosphere that is apparent all over campus. It’s something I think every Sooner feels and loves about OU. 

HC OU: What are your plans for this year?
I plan on working hard to fulfill my duties as Chair, enjoying all the CAC events our other chairs have worked so hard on, spending time with my friends, and making the most out of my senior year! 

HC OU: What advice would you give to students looking to get involved on campus?
Find what you love and are passionate about, and then do it. Don’t ever get wrapped up in a position or titles, but instead, genuinely seek out involvement in organizations you are interested in. When you do that, the rest will fall into place. 

HC OU: What is your favorite spot on campus?
The Center for Student Life in the Union. It’s where most of my campus mentors work and it’s where I make a lot of friends during the day. Come join us up there!

HC OU: What are some things that interest you?
Primarily, I’m interested in my relationship with Christ and getting closer to Him. I’m also interested in social justice, especially in the area of anti-human trafficking across the world. 

HC OU: If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, who would it be and why?
I would love to have dinner with Gary Haugen, the President and CEO of International Justice Mission (IJM). IJM is one of the leading anti-trafficking organizations in the world. I would love to talk with him about why he started it and what he’s seen throughout the world. He’s definitely one of my heroes and I would love to pick his brain about his many experiences. Ultimately, I would love to work for IJM after graduate school. 

HC OU: What is the best advice you have ever been given?
Find what you’re passionate about and go at it whole-heartedly. When you do that, you’ll really start to make a difference in other people’s lives and in your own.  

Kali Carter is a senior at the University of Oklahoma, majoring in Public Relations. Kali is a member of the Alpha Chi Omega sorority, where she has held a number of officer positions, including an executive position as the Vice President of Membership Development. She has worked as a news desk reporter for the Oklahoma Daily newspaper, served as the Treasurer of the Student Society of Professional Journalists and is a member of the Public Relations Student Society of America. Kali currently balances her time working as the Marketing Assistant for an independent insurance agency and an Account Lead at the Lindsey + Asp Advertising and Public Relations Agency in the journalism college. Aside from working and spending time with friends and family, her greatest passions in life are writing and traveling. Kali has studied abroad in Peru, Chile, and Puerto Rico, and spent a summer blogging and living in San Francisco. Upon her graduation in December 2011, Kali does not intend to return to her hometown of Tulsa, Okla. Instead, she hopes to spend the next year or two traveling the world, writing, and volunteering, before eventually settling down in New York City.