Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Oklahoma News

Do's and Don'ts of Holiday Etiquette

By Kali Carter
December 7, 2011 - 5:31pm

Do you have that friend who returns every gift she receives for Christmas? Do you write thank you letters to family members when they give you a gift? Here are some of the major do's and don'ts of holiday etiquette for the holiday season! DO talk to extended family members if you want to scale down on expensive gifts. Figure out an alternative option for gift giving, such as drawing names, limiting gifts to a specific dollar amount, or a white elephant/dirty santa gift exchange. Most people are on some sort of budget and they will probably be relieved too! READ MORE

December Holiday Guide: Top Oklahoma Attractions

By Kali Carter
December 1, 2011 - 2:46pm

To people who live outside the state, Oklahoma may not exactly scream Winter Wonderland. Those of us who live here know we experience some sort of wondrous proportions each year (i.e. ice storm 2007; Snowmageddon 2011). With or without snow on the ground, Oklahoma is a great place to live, or visit, during the holidays.

One of the hottest trends in both Tulsa and Oklahoma City is the shift downtown; however, since Bricktown began in the mid-to-late 1990s, Oklahoma City’s downtown has been steps ahead of the city to the North. These days, Tulsa’s Blue Dome District continues to expand, making a name for itself as one of the most vibrant locations in the city.

...

Oklahoma Organizations Focus On Domestic Violence Awareness Month

By Kali Carter
October 19, 2011 - 3:03pm

On the surface, Oklahoma may seem like a safe place to live. Although many rural parts of the state have low crime rates, Oklahoma as a whole, lends itself to some startling statistics.

Last year, Forbes Magazine released its list of the most dangerous cities in America. After combining FBI crime rates with data from deadly car crashes, Tulsa ranked number six on the list, while Oklahoma City followed closely at number nine.

READ MORE

10 Ordinary Acts of Kindness to Make Someone's Day Extraordinary

By Jillian Ward
October 12, 2011 - 5:21pm

Here at Her Campus Oklahoma, we believe in the motto “do good, feel good.” There are so many small things you can do to make someone’s day or improve the community, so why not start now? Here are 10 day-brighteners that will make you, and someone else, feel great. 1. Give a stranger a compliment – I once made a friend on the first day of class because she said she liked my boots, which started a conversation about our mutual love of Steve Madden… It’s so easy to compliment someone, and it may even result in a friendship. READ MORE

From Jerseys to Dresses: A Sooner Girl's Guide to Tailgating Fashion

By Sarah Hauptman
September 29, 2011 - 1:52pm

College gamedays are no longer just for the guys. Each week, women at the University of Oklahoma step out in their best for football gamedays. Nowadays, there are countless ways to show your Sooner spirit when roaming the tailgates on any given Saturday. Here is a review of some of the hottest looks and trends in crimson and cream: READ MORE

An Oklahoma Girl's Thoughts on Joining the Dots Fashion Revolution

By Emily Nicholls
September 28, 2011 - 2:46pm

Over the summer, the fashionable, yet affordable, clothing store Dots opened a new location in Norman. The store tagline is "Love the Looks. Love the Prices," so I took my friend Jackie along for a shopping trip to see if her opinion of the store matched the slogan. READ MORE

5 Websites Guaranteed to Satisfy Your Need to Procrastinate

By Jillian Ward
September 26, 2011 - 12:56pm

If you’re like most other college students, then you may have a desk job that doesn’t always keep you on your toes or a subconscious need to put off studying for that test until midnight the night before. Well you’re in luck, because in all the years I have spent procrastinating I have discovered multiple entertaining sites for delaying all means of productivity. Here is the compiled list: READ MORE

A Collegiette's Guide to Austin City Limits

By Kali Carter
September 13, 2011 - 12:00am

This weekend, college students from around the country will flock to Austin, Texas, to take part in the Austin City Limits Music Festival (ACL). With more than 130 acts from around the world performing in a variety of genres, it is no surprise that ACL remains one of the top music festivals in the U.S. READ MORE