This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Loving yourself and taking care of yourself should be top priorities in your life—especially in college. We’re approaching dead week and finals week, which are busy times that often stress out a lot of students.

I’m not confident at all. In high school, I hid behind my schoolwork and my activities. I didn’t believe in my looks or what I was doing. The same attitude followed me into college. It’s taken me a long time to develop a better relationship with myself.

I finally learned something important. In college, nobody cares. No one is watching you eat alone or grab a coffee alone. No one cares that you’re wearing Nike Shorts and a Comfort Colors for the fifteenth day in a row. If these things help you to build a relationship with yourself, do it.

Do what makes you happy, what makes you feel confident, and do things to make sure you’re taking care of yourself. Be yourself. Don’t think you can’t do anything. Stand up and believe in yourself. Don’t sweat all of the small stuff. Take a deep breath and enjoy the moment.

More importantly, enjoy yourself.

Have a positive relationship with yourself.

Try it.

Find the friends that will show up at your door with ice cream and offer to do your makeup for a night out. Find the people who will respect you. Eat healthy foods if you want, or go to Taco Bell and treat yourself.

Take a bath. Have a spa day complete with a pedicure and a facial. Take yourself to dinner. Sit alone.

Learn to say no. Saying yes to everything might be ideal, but in all reality, you’re going to be overwhelmed. Prioritize what needs to be prioritized.

College is meant for you to be fun, young, and find what you’re passionate about. You can’t do any of that, without having a relationship with yourself.

Meagan Loyd is a senior at the University of Oklahoma studying Professional Writing at Gaylord College of Journalism. She loves Target, Starbucks, quarter-zip sweatshirts, Chicago Cubs Baseball, Sooner Football, and all of the books!
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!