sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oklahoma chapter.

So often we are asked “where do you see yourself five years from now?” We always give a generic answer “I see myself as successful after college,” “I see myself starting a family,” “I see myself working in my career.” It’s never truly where we see ourselves. I think it’s time we be honest with ourselves about the elusive “five years from now,” I think we should answer this question with the truth.

Photo by Maranatha Pizarras on Unsplash

Five years from now, I have no idea what will be happening in my life. I hope I am successful in my chosen career, I hope I am living my life fully, and that I am enjoying what I do everyday. I hope that I am contributing to the world around me and that I am helping others, so that they too may lend a helping hand to those around them. I hope that I am done with school and that I am not so scared of my student loan debt. I hope that I still talk to my parents as often as possible and that my little brother can still count on me to be there whenever he needs me. I hope that I have a better idea of how to function successfully as an adult, because right now it feels like I’m stumbling around in the dark without a flashlight.

Five years from now, I hope I’ll have checked off more concerts from my bucket list, that I’ll have seen every superhero movie in theaters between now and then. I hope that I’ll still read for fun regularly, because it makes me feel like I can take a break from the real world. I hope that I’m still making niche playlists for myself to listen to, because they make me laugh. I hope that my sense of humor has only grown and that I don’t take myself or my life too seriously.

Five years from now, I hope I am happy, healthy, kind, and doing my best. I hope that I still see the world through a positive lens. I hope that I don’t let my fears or failures stand in my way. I hope that I will be more mature, but still myself. I hope that I can make my parents and myself proud.

Five years from now, I promise to stop viewing “five years from now,” in such a concrete way. If I was living the life I saw for myself five years ago I’d be in a much different place. I would be in school for a completely different reason, I would not be in extracurricular organizations I am in, and I wouldn’t be who I am today. We answer “where do you see yourself five years from now?” so narrowly. We only see it was a passage of time, instead of a whole life lived in that period. Honestly, five years from now, I don’t know where I’ll be or what I’ll be doing. I can tell you my hopes and dreams for that time, but that’s all I can give you. We live in the present, not the past or the future, so why not ask us about right now.

Maggie Inzinga

Oklahoma '19

Maggie is a a senior at the University of Oklahoma pursuing a degree in occupational therapy. When she’s not lounging in a velour tracksuit or live tweeting her life (@maggie_inzinga) you can find her questioning if life after graduation is really possible. Her favorite extracurricular activities include making things weird, listening to Dolly Parton albums on repeat, and attempting to recapture her emo phase one Spotify playlist at a time.
Emily Parker

Oklahoma '19

Hi my name is Emily Parker and I am a senior at the Univeristy of Oklahoma! I am from Tucson, Arizona and I am majoring in Business Marketing and minoring in Art. After graduation I would like to travel abroad and pursue a career in fashion marketing!