You’re Your Own Worst Enemy: A Guide to Cognitive Distortions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

As someone who has personally experienced anxiety and depression, I know how unkind we can be to ourselves. But what if our own role in our anxiety goes further than just putting ourselves down?

This year I had a major breakthrough when I first learned about cognitive distortions. Cognitive distortions are basically just irrational thoughts. The thing though is that the majority of us experience cognitive distortions but have no idea that our thinking is so irrational. Recognizing these thoughts is the first step to get rid of them, and to improve our mental health.

1. Magnification and Minimization

These are thoughts are place way too much importance, or way too little on something. For example, minimizing your accomplishment but magnifying your mistake.

2. Catastrophizing

Focusing only on the worst possible outcomes of a situation.

3. Generalization

Coming to very broad conclusions based on little evidence. Example: stuttering over a couple of words and deciding that you are now hopelessly awkward.

4. Magical thinking

Linking two unrelated things into a cause and effect relationship. (“I’m a good person so bad things shouldn’t happen to me”)

5. Personalization

Believing that you are responsible for things that are out of control.

6. Mind Reading

Assuming you know someone’s thoughts of motivations without evidence

7. Fortune Telling

Assuming something will turn out badly without evidence. Similar to Catastrophizing.

8. Emotional Reasoning

The belief that emotions reflect reality. Just because you feel like you are a bad student, it doesn’t mean that you are one.

9. Ignoring the Positive

Only focusing on the negative. For example, getting your essay back and only focusing on the criticisms and ignoring the compliments.

10. “Should” Statements

Beliefs that things should be a certain way. (“I should always be nice”)

11. All or Nothing

Thinking in terms of ‘always’, ‘never’, ‘every’. Remember that life is not black and white! You do not always fail, you are not never going to find love, and not everyone hates you.

If you recognize any of these thinking patterns in yourself, don’t feel bad! They are extremely common (I’d bet everyone has experienced at least one) and are usually the result of conditioning from an early age. Recognizing irrational thinking is vital to improving your mental wellbeing.