Ways to Save Money

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Where all in college and can probably admit that budgeting is one thing we all struggle with. Between textbooks, school supplies, eating and a little weekend money, we all have a hard time saving our money the right way. My job is to ease the worry and give you a few tips on how to save, but still live the college life we all dream of.

Tip #1- Buy textbooks from used bookstores: New textbooks from university bookstores can be very expensive. With a new edition of the book coming out almost every year, your total for one book could be $300. Instead, look around for used bookstores, or if you have time, order your books online. There are many websites that allow students to sell their books to others for a cheaper price and you will not have to worry about the hassle of fighting for that last book.

Tip #2-Driving options:  Instead of driving to class and wasting gas looking for the closest parking spot, ride the bus every now and then. You could even walk if you are close enough. It can take awhile just to find a spot, and those round and round drives through a parking lot will add up on your gas tank. If you have no other option but to drive, carpool with friends going to the same area as you and have them chip in on gas when needed.

Tip #3-Cook throughout the week, then splurge on the weekends: Eating out every day may seem more convenient, but if you think about it the money you spend on take out could equal up to a nice amount of groceries in the fridge. Cooking throughout the week will be way healthier and it will save a ton of money. One meal is already on average $7.50. Cooking is a way better option.

Tip #4- Be creative with your leisure time: We all love to unwind after a long week of studying, and for most that means going out and spending money. Instead stay in and watch a movie. Have a game night with some friends. If you really have the urge to get out, go for a walk at the lake, ride bikes, or shoot some hoops. These are all fun and are money saving activities.

Tip#5- Half in and half out: For those who have a job, it is so easy to go crazy when we get our hands on that pay check. We find ourselves spending on things we really do not need, and then wish we had not. We want some of that money to ourselves; I mean we did work for it, but instead of spending it all, put half in your savings and use the rest for yourself.

Tip#6- Brew your own coffee at home: Instead of going to Starbucks for that extra boost of energy every morning, brew your own coffee. Just use the same flavors they use in the shops. It will save you extra time and money.

Tip#7-Go thrift store shopping: Instead of going to the name brand stores and buying all the newest trends, be unique and go to thrift stores. Goodwill, garage sales, Plato’s Closet, and so much more provide many cute and trendy looks that will set you apart from the crowd, all for a low price.

Tip#8- Self-control: Refrain from being a compulsive buyer.

Tip#9- Live with people: Utilities and rent are usually cheaper when you live with people that you can split the cost with.

Tip#10- Explore your state parks: Go to the zoo or amusement parks on the days when they are free. This is a great date idea for you and that special someone.

These are all great money saving ideas that will get you through college without any hesitation.

I am a senior at Oklahoma State University. My major is Multimedia Journalism with a minor in leadership. I aspire to be a news anchor or work for a fashion magazine, I am honestly open to any kind of journalism though. I am the Her Campus correspondent for OSU. I interned for News on 6 in Tulsa, Okla this summer and I loved every second of it. Basically, I am just a fun-loving girl who loves her friends and family. The only expectations I have for the future is to be happy.