This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

College students from all over the world struggle with one universal issue; studying.

While most students have the best intentions in college, they might fail to develop the necessary habits to achieve their goals.

Here are seven tips for you to study better and accomplish more throughout your academic career.

Phones Away

Technology is the biggest distraction when it comes to studying, and the use of them should be limited while trying to study. Tell your friends that unless it’s an emergency you won’t be in contact for a while.

Organization Is Key

You won’t be able to study diligently, if you spend half your free time digging through your notes searching for the sections you need. Keep your notes organized and legible. Having this essential piece of the puzzle will make you feel more in control and capable of studying whatever subject is at hand, as well as save time.

Study Spots

Try different study spots and change up your environment. Staying cooped up in one place can dull your mind, and make you lose motivation. Try studying in the library, the lounge, the cafe, the student union, under a tree, or anywhere that may seem remotely suitable to you. 

Study Groups

Study with friends, or classmates to make the experience less lonely.  It’s a good way to make friends and get studying tips you may not have thought of yet. I can assure you that for any class, you won’t be the only one studying so try to find a study buddy.

Take Breaks

Studying for long periods of time essentially doesn’t work. Psychologically, many students lose their focus about twenty five to thirty minutes into studying. So about every half hour it’s good to take a five minute break and relax your mind.

Self Control

Practicing self control has to be the hardest component of all when it comes to studying. Learn to say no to going out so you can study when you know you have an exam coming up that you’re not so confident about. Don’t be afraid of missing out on events, you’re here to learn. Education is your top priority, let that drive you.

Somethings in college you just can’t control but other things, like study habits, you have the opportunity to change for yourself.

Take advantage of the little victories you can give yourself. And be encouraged about your future!