This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Mean girls(photo via Pinterest/https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393924298633076913/)

Skank. Tomboy. Plastic. These are names girls get called whenever they don’t dress or act the way another person deems appropriate. All of those names, among others, are hurtful and spread the idea that women don’t deserve respect.

Thankfully, strong women have become role models and stepped up to say that the anti-girl statements need to stop. The standard should be that women are respected and not criticized for dressing or presenting themselves in whatever way they choose. There’s just one small problem. Most of this is directed towards men. Women are telling men that they need to stop degrading girls. But what I’ve noticed lately, is that girls more often than not, will also hate on other girls.

I’ve listened to girls judge each other and talk behind each other’s backs, and all it leads to is more and more hate. It’s time to step up and stop the girl on girl hate. Young women need to say enough is enough and learn to respect each other. Because every time a comment is made about how another girl looks stupid, or skanky, or any other comment meant to tear them down, we as women are saying that females don’t deserve respect.

So #StopGirlHate and follow this simple old adage. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.

Strategic Communications major and English minor at Oklahoma State University. Campus Correspondent for the Oklahoma State chapter.