This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Ah, yes. The day I knew was coming had finally arrived. I started a part-time “Big Girl” job.

I knew I would obviously start a “real” job once I graduated college, but an opportunity came up that allowed me a sweet on campus gig. There was one catch, though. I had to start dressing business casual everyday.

My first thought was that maybe I could finally wear all of the clothes I kept buying and leaving in the back of my closet, collecting dust.

My second thought was….

It’s winter.

Rocking business casual in the spring or fall is one thing, but having the motivation to get and put on a dress in the dead of winter is another beast that I was not prepared for. Not to mention, who has the budget for a total closet makeover?

So, in my heartbroken attempt to make the shift from my beloved t-shirts and leggings, I put together somewhat of a style guide for any one out there who will be soon struggling with the same problems I had.

Here are some helpful tips to looking cute in the office (still on that #collegebudget) and warm on your way to class:

Know the Weather

This seems like an obvious idea, but you should be taking advantage of any warm day that you can. On days above 60 (once in a blue moon), I ditch the jacket and opt for a long sleeve dress with light stockings or none at all.

Offset Your Makeup

If you’re wearing grays and black outfits all winter, it can seriously become a drab. Spice up the look with a brighter lipstick or a patterned headband.

Pro Tip: Having your hair and makeup fully done will amp up your outfit if you’re dressed a little more casual than business for the day.

Get Creative with What You Have

When I knew I would be starting my new job, I went through my entire closet and split it down the middle. The first category was “Obviously Not” and “Has Potential”. Your obviously not pieces are sweats, crop tops, t-shirts, shorts, etc. My potential items have turned out to be some of my favorite outfits. A summer tank top dress might pair perfectly with a cardigan and knee high boots and those strappy flats pair perfectly with capris slacks.

L A Y E R

If you know how to layer, your life will be ten times easier. (Also, you can get away with re-wearing your basic pieces closer together than if you wore them alone.) I have a few long sleeve sweaters and flannels that I know I can slip over any dress or skirt if need be. I’ve even started layering long shirts over dresses and boom, it looks like I’ve got a brand new skirt on.

Be Confident

People will give you weird looks when its 8am, 24 degrees outside, and you’re dressed to the nines. Forget about them. Walk tall in whatever outfit you’re in and you’ll be just fine.

Wear the Jeans

Patterned jeans have saved my life. If you do find yourself out shopping for a few new items, look for colored jeans or printed comfy pants. These look adorable with short booties and flats and will be your haven when it’s freezing outside and you want to wear a blanket to work instead. (Target and Old Navy are THE BEST for this budget friendly buys!!!)

Think Classy

There are some days when I think to myself, “Is this outfit a little much?” If you have to ask this, you might want to keep it out of business casual wardrobe. (Or maybe throw a sweater over it, etc.)

Don’t Be Afraid to Thrift

I’m sure you’ve heard this time and time again, but some of my best layering pieces come from The Salvation Army or Wal-Mart. These pieces don’t have to be the center of attention, but a hand-me down oversized sweater with a shirt and tights will bring the whole outfit together in a trendy and wallet friendly way. (Some of my thrift shop finds are my biggest compliment days.)

Stay AWAY From Heels

Seriously, don’t do it. You’ll have blisters by the end of the dayand it often throws off the “casual” aspect to your outfit. A nice pair of flats will still look professional and save your poor feet in the end.

Pro Tip: Always carry around a few extra Band-Aids just in case.

If you’re like me, each day is a new guessing game. But, as I’ve made my way through this process, I wake up earlier, have time to shower and eat breakfast, and get my work done on time. Dressing your best, even on the hard days, might give you that extra step of motivation that you need.

Good luck!