This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

On Oct. 3 the Miss OSU pageant was held at the Seretean Center Concert Hall located here in Stillwater, Okla. This pageant was a scholarship pageant awarding the winner with $1,200, for the contestant with the best overall talent and beauty. Many girls look up to the winner of Miss OSU and admire her for her beauty and talent.

The 2014 Miss OSU pageant crowned Ali Brooks this year. With hard work and dedication she pushed through “with the mind set of winning the title”, and although it was only her 5th pageant, she left with crown.

It is a true honor to compete in Miss OSU and with 15 total contestants the competition is intense.  There are many things you must do in order to prepare for the competition and different events throughout the night. “I had to attend multiple voice lessons,” Brooks said, “and work out daily as well as always remembering to eat right.” The different events that take place that night as being a contestant include an on stage question, swimsuit, talent, and evening gown portion.

The Miss OSU pageant experience is a great tool for life, “The experience improved my public speaking skills and confidence drastically,” Brooks said. Winning has also helped her get to make a difference in her platform- Feeding Hope: Fighting Youth Hunger. “Studies show that one in two American children will face hunger at some point in their lives,” Brooks said, “and being crowned Miss OSU is allowing me to get serve my passion by going to travel around schools in Stillwater to inform all people of how they can help stop hunger, too.”

This experience has been life changing for Brooks, “I was at a loss of words when they called my name,” she said, “I still can’t believe I was lucky enough to receive the title.” Now being the face of Oklahoma State as she gets to travel and around the community and speak, many people are looking up to her and admiring her for all of her hard work, dedication, talent, beauty, and passion to make a difference in the world.