Open Letter To The Girl Who Used To Be An Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

You used to be athlete. You used to practice 2-3 times a week knowing exactly what the coach was expecting of you or the team from the beginning. You used to think you were going to play in college or go to the olympics and then everything fell through. Well this letter are to those girls who used to be an athlete. 

First of all, you will never not be an athlete. Once you’re an athlete you never go back to just not being one. You will always think about the way you workout, the way you eat, or how others are playing your sport wrong. When you go to watch others peform the sport that used to be your whole life you start to miss it, and you wish you never quit. Know that you didnt quit, reality hit you like a brick wall. You realized that you would not get as far in the sport as you hoped and you realized that as much as your parents told you, you were not the best player out there. 

When you start having nostalgia abotu they sport everything that you did right or wrong starts coming back to you. You are also start thinking about all the people you met and how you may not be friends with majority of them anymore. You remember how you used to have to tell people “No I cant I have practice,” but you also think about all the great times you had at team parties and loved it when it was one of your teammates birthdays because that meant EVERYONE was invited. No matter what reasoning that you stopped playing you will probably question why.

Then you will try to get back into it, and when you see that you still got it, it makes you feel better. You used to be the one that would look up to the professionals and you would say how you are going ot be them one day. You used to be the busy and non-stop friend that did not have many friends outside of school because you had a whole team behind you. Now you are an athlete who has chosen to stop playing a sport they LOVED so much it took over their life and would consume everything they did. Everything you have decided you decided for a reason so it is great to have memories and is great to have those feelings forever and ever.