This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. Another post about the election? No thanks. But I think it’s so IMPORTANT for us to really, honestly reflect on the positives and the inevitable realities that are to come from this election.

The 2016 election will be my first opportunity to vote for a presidential candidate and, despite the disappointing runners this time around, I am thrilled to say I played my part in voting for what I believe in, which brings me to my first positive. We live in a democracy that allows us to voice our likes and dislikes of the government, and then cast our vote depending on how we feel. We get to spend our lives fighting for what we believe in without the fear of being punished. So, no matter who gets elected into office, we have the power to influence change.

Another positive from this election is I know what I do and DO NOT want to see in future candidates. Before this election, I didn’t think twice about who got elected into House positions or focus on state questions. Now that I know how much these factors play into efficiency of our government, I have become hooked on learning as much as I possibly can before checking yes or no. I encourage you to pay close attention to the people leading our government on the smaller scales as well…You never know what policies could affect you.

And finally, I’m confident in our generation’s ability to overcome these differences that have pulled us apart and rise together to build a better tomorrow. We can choose to be weighed down by the events that have transpired, OR we can make a vow to ourselves that we will learn from this election and actively work towards creating a different reality for generations to come.

I hope this election is the wake up call America needed, because I’m wide awake and ready for a change. What will you do to make a difference?