This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Now that you’re on your own in college, you might finally be starting to appreciate the advice that your parents tried to give you while you still lived at home.

“It’s time to take a nap.”

When we were younger, those were some of the worst words to hear. But now, there are times when I would do anything to get just a few minutes of shut eye.

“Wash your hands.”

College is full of so many new people—and they bring their germs with them. Your immune system takes a severe hit when you go off to college, so you might actually want to suck it up and remember to take care of yourself. And take a vitamin while you’re at it—they won’t kill you.

“Clean your room.”

Now that you don’t live at home and have your mommy to pick up after you all of the time, you realize the importance of picking up after yourself. Living with roommates will make you appreciate the cleanliness and organization that your mother tried to teach you.

“If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

We’ve all heard something along these lines after getting in childhood arguments, but this nugget of wisdom is still applicable in the college world. Life is too short to be rude.