Jackie Barth: Friendships with a Side of Coffee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

The place to work in Stillwater, Oklahoma, is Aspen Coffee Company. The chill atmosphere with classic coffee and drinks makes it the ideal place to be employed. It is one of the hardest places to get hired, because of their high standards and the extreme competition, but Jackie Barth is an employee who gets every college student’s dream– a job there at Aspen Coffee.

Jackie Barth is studying Food Science at Oklahoma State University; however, wanted a part time job to fulfill her extra time.

“It was kind of a fluke thing, but definitely a job I’ve been interested in for years,” Barth said. “I’ve always wanted to work in a coffee shop, because I’m interested in coffee and what comes along with that.”

Aspen Coffee strives to make quality drinks, while building true relationships with their customers, making them feel valued to be apart of the company. Lucky for Barth, that is a characteristic she believes in deeply, because she enjoys making friendships that have a deeper meaning than what meets the eye.

“I enjoy it, because I know how that makes me feel – when people step up to the plate to make me feel wanted and valued,” Barth said. “I just want to be able to do that for other people.”

This value of Barth’s allows her to harmonize well with Aspen’s beliefs. The genuine relationships Barth builds with her customers and co-workers give her the community she desires.

The job at Aspen is not the end job for Barth, however she hopes to grow a lot at her time there.

“I just want to be able to learn how to jump into a situation with confidence versus hesitating,” Barth said. “I just hope to continue to be intentional with relationships, and not find my identity in my work.

“I want them to know I’m just Jackie, not Jackie who works at Aspen.”

Student at Oklahoma State University