How to Love Someone Who Struggles with Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

First of all, each person with anxiety is completely different, so you shouldn’t assume a blog will give you all the answers you need. For some people, getting out of bed will be the hardest thing they will do all week. For others, they may hold in their nervousness until the smallest thing breaks them. No matter how small or large the anxiety or feeling, it should be recognized and noted. Here are a few ways to love someone who struggles with anxiety:

Listen to them (and take notes if you must)

How would you like it if someone asked you to repeat your social anxieties over and over again? If large crowds make them feel nervous or uncomfortable, take note of this and avoid being in busy places. If they say that they must wear a jacket to feel comfortable, don’t force them to take off the jacket as it gets warm. Listen to what makes the feel at ease and try your best to help them reach that point of normalcy

Don’t judge them

People don’t just wake up one day and fear what they do. People who struggle with anxiety might have become the way they did because of some event or memory. If you notice your person gets anxious leaving the car unlocked, don’t pester them for checking to make sure the door is locked. Attempt to understand better before you start to judge.

Ask helpful questions

If you feel that you make your person anxious, you have every right to ask what it is that you’re doing. If you like to encourage your person, but they seem unresponsive to your words, ask them how you can better your support. People with anxiety won’t always come out and tell you how to fix the situation.

Remind them

Remind your person that you care about them, endlessly. The fact that you’ve read this blog so far shows that you are curious and want to better your relationships in any way you can. Remind your person that you’re trying and that you will continue to communicate.

Be there

Sometimes the best thing to do for an anxious person is NOTHING. Personally, there are times when I cannot be reached by a “you’ll be fine” or a pat on the back. There will be times where you just need to tell them that you will be here when needed, and then back away. A constant bothering does not take the anxiety away. If anything, you might be adding to the problem. 

More than anything, stay positive and loving. Everything will be okay. 

We at #hcokstate are always looking for ways to help, educate, and inform our readers. Let us know about your personal successes when loving someone with anxiety. Or if you struggle with anxiety, give us your best advice. We’d love to hear from you.