Eileen Eleftherakis, Matchmaker Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Name:Eileen Eleftherakis

Occupation: Owner and Director of the City Social Club of Stillwater

When did City Social Club begin?
January 2011. I actually just graduated from OSU with a degree in sociology in December of 2010.

How was City Social Club started?
After my divorce, I felt really displaced in Stillwater because I had married friends. I was sort of in a dilemma trying to make new friends that were single friends. And found that really difficult to do. I wanted to know if there were other people disconnected in Stillwater and found out that there were. There’s nothing like this. Stillwater didn’t have a club for singles.

How long was the process and what were the steps in starting your company?
I started in the last semester. I looked online to see if Stillwater had anything like it. I didn’t want to duplicate anything that was already here. Everything was mostly online. I felt like for me and my situation I wanted to get out of the house.  I wanted to actually see people face to face.  I didn’t want to sit behind my computer. There is so much on Google. I called the Secretary of the state of Oklahoma. They said it only cost $100 to get your certificate of business and I just went after it. I went online to see what kind of website I wanted.

Is there an age limit to join City Social Club and are students welcome?
There is no age limit. There are quite a few grad students. I really want to reach out to college students.

What can someone expect to receive attending your events?
They can expect to come into an environment that’s friendly and accepting of them and wanting to know them and become friends with someone. There’s also the possibility of a romantic connection as well.  Just to get out the house, to be in a safe environment to meet people and just have a good time.

Where do you see your company 5 years from now?
I should be franchising, I don’t know if it would be nationally or throughout the state of Oklahoma. My goal is for people to find an event that they’re passionate about and lead the event.

Where can others find you?
On Facebook at City Social Club or the website www.citysocialclub.memberlodge.com

Do you have a motto that you live by in life that motivates you daily?
Be proactive.

Any last words?
I encourage people to not be alone or feel disconnected. Reach out if they’re feeling lonely. Know that there are people who want to be friends with them. Be social, don’t be afraid to be social.

Becca is an Oklahoma State University fashion journalism student. After she graduates in December, she wants to work for British Vogue. She believes that although a $1,200 sundress looks fantastic on the runway, there are less expensive alternatives to looking fabulous. Knowing how to shop on a budget is a vital skill for every college woman. She has recently completed a life-changing study abroad experience in London and a visual merchandising internship at White House Black Market in Dallas. Becca wants to show the fashion world that you can look beautiful without breaking the bank.