Clarissa Bonner: Our Very Own Superwoman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Beyond the steps of Morrill Hall, you will find the most important person to any English students college career.

No, she isn’t President Hargis or even the dean, but her students consider her to be a mother figure, a guide to more people than she will ever know.

So how did this “superwoman” ended up in Stillwater, OK? Keep reading to find out!

~~~

Clarissa Bonner has served as the English Department Academic Advisor since 2015, and continues to serve to this day.

Clarissa’s journey to Stillwater began as a student here at Oklahoma State University majoring in Literature during her four years. From being involved in Undergraduate Reasearch, but also previously serving her fellow classmates as a tutor in the LASSO Center, Mrs. Bonner’s mark on this campus is still felt to this day, as she mentors her current students to make an impact also on campus through their many talents.

After serveral years, this California native made her way back to Stillwater, and when asked about why she took a job back at her Alma Mater she stated, “Well , I thought that it would be fun to come back to my Alma Mater, although I had never really given it any thought before hand.”  Though a job was open, Mrs.Bonner also came back, because of the Stillwater Community. “I’ve always felt at home in Stillwater, because OSU’s community is so welcoming and friendly that I fit right in.”

But Mrs. Bonner does far more for her Alma Mater than just being a Academic Advisor.

Everyday, Mrs. Bonner comes in with a goal in mind, and that is to help as many people has she can in a single day. “Whether its signing a form, or even helping someone get over a bad breakup, I try to help as much as possible.” Clarissa stated. “Big or small I just want to help the student as best as I can.”  

However, Clarissa’s duties do not stop here. Mrs. Bonner has also taken on the professor role, as she teaches incoming freshmen how to manage both their time and studies here at Oklahoma State. Even though Clarissa works with only a small percentage of students on our campus, she has definitely made a huge impact that will affect campus for years to come.

As you can see, her students mean more to her than just a job, but they rather inspire her to come mentor to them every single day. “Their carisma for school , enthusiasm, and eagerness to work with each other is inspiring to witness.” she stated, “They are just an exciting group to be around!”

From a mentor to professor, Clarissa Bonner will forever show students just how important the words Cowboy Family really are.

Her Campus Oklahoma State, Thanks Clarissa for all the lives that she has touched, and continues to make an impact on.

You are our SUPERWOMAN!

~~~

“What is a teacher?

I’ll tell you: it isn’t someone who teaches something, but someone who inspires the student to give of her best in order to discover what she already knows.”

– Paulo Coelho

Jasmine Fain

OK State '19

Is a Senior at the BRIGHTEST campus in the nation Oklahoma State University. She is a Professional Writing major with a Minor in Linguistics. Check out her articles each week to keep up to date on the many fun things that OSU has to offer. In your spare time also check out her blog LIVINGWITHJ to catch a preview of her life!