Campus Celebrity: Women of OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Women of OSU is a foundation that awards scholarships to deserving local philanthropists. They began as the Women and Philanthropy in the College of Human Sciences in the 90’s, but re-formed as the Women of OSU to become a campuswide organization in 2009. The Council currently consists of 38 women who firmly believe that “Women are a collective force of good for the future, “ and promote giving back to the community. Women of OSU holds symposiums on campus where they bring in big name guest speakers and recognize the Philanthropist of the Year, as well as announce the recipients of their scholarships. They also travel to 5-7 regional events each year where Ann Hargis usually speaks in representation of OSU. Although this is a “women’s” scholarship, last year and this year, there have been male recipients. The scholarships are primarily based on volunteer work, leadership, academics and financial need. They try to award more and more scholarships each year and have expanded their number of donors to over 100 women. This impressive growth will hopefully allow them to award five $5000 scholarships next year.

For more information about scholarships or getting involved with Women of OSU, visit http://www.osugiving.com/page.aspx?pid=923!