katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ballin’ on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

Ah, yes. It’s that time of the year again. Your Christmas money is dwindling, class work is picking up, and you’ve most likely committed to a fun Spring Break trip that you just couldn’t pass up at the time… and just like that, you’re out of money. If you can’t relate to any of these situations, count yourself lucky that you are incredibly disciplined. And to the rest of us— let’s talk savings. Here are few ways to save money and not be homeless by the end of the Spring semester.  

DO NOT Eat Out

This is so crucial to your wallet. I know it’s easy to justify a quick lunch with your roommate every now and then, but over time, those sides of fries and small milkshakes add up. If you want to hang out with friends over a yummy meal, host a dinner at your house! Tell friends to bring their signature dishes or have a cooking contest.

Shop Cheap

Try not to buy all of your necessities at one location. Check online coupons and ads in the paper, if need be. You will save TONS if you watch where pennies can be saved.

Overbuying=Wallet Suicide

If you don’t absolutely need something or didn’t put it on your list, DO NOT throw it in your basket! Also, watch out for instances of over buying. If you don’t think you’ll need more than 2 tomatoes, don’t buy 4 just in case. You can always go back to the store.

Travel Smart

Save money on gas by carpooling to class, walking, or even checking bus times. If you’re going on a Spring Break trip, look for the cheapest options on getting from A to B and budget out each day.

Spring Cleaning

If you find yourself in a situation where you MUST go shopping for new clothes, clean out your closet first! Be honest with yourself about what you will or wont actually wear. Sell anything you don’t need.

Say No

One of the hardest things about saving money is saying no sometimes. If your friends are going to see a movie, suggest renting a cheap movie instead and host a movie night. It won’t always be easy, but it’s important to weigh all the pro’s and con’s of an outing before committing to it.

Be creative

Catch free screenings, attend local concerts, and learn to entertain yourself! Check Pinterest or different blogs for entertainment inspiration.