#AskAndy : What do I get my Boyfriend for Christmas?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

On the first day of Christmas my girlfriend got for me…a framed picture of us… yay?

With the holidays approaching it is time to start thinking about gift ideas for that special guy in your life. Let’s walk through some dos’ and don’ts’ for gift ideas that will ensure this year’s present will impress him without putting you in debt.

Do: Buy him a piece of clothing

Via Google images

Even if your man is clueless with fashion, he still wears clothes and likely has a style of his own. Buy him something he would like to wear and then he can think of you every time he does (you get bonus points if it isn’t something you just want to see him in).

Don’t: Frame a picture of you or the both of you and give it to him

A framed picture seems like a gift you might give to your grandma you rarely see or a friend that’s moving away. More often than not your boyfriend has some concept of how the two of you look together; he doesn’t need another framed reminder. The best you can expect from this kind of gift is a forced thank you paired with a sigh.

Do: Buy into one of his interests

Via Google images

Most guys have hobbies or niche interests such as fishing, woodworking, etc. Often these hobbies are expensive so I am not saying you need to buy him a brand new silk tie if he loves ties. Instead find something that compliments his tastes, it shows you care, and he will genuinely love and use it. For example, if he loves collecting watches, buy him a watch display case. That way no matter which watch he picks every day, the display will remind him of his caring girlfriend.

Don’t: Give love coupons

The only people who have ever been excited to receive a ragtag coupon book allowing for things like “one free hug” are sad and unloved (seriously people, everything a love coupon book promises should already be part of your relationship). No guy likes to think that he has to exchange a slip of paper in order to receive a date at his favorite restaurant, which should just happen naturally.

Do: Treat him to an event he likes

Via Google images

Whether is a football game, Comic-Con or a concert chances are your man has something he would love to go see. Find tickets and surprise him by taking him. I realize this can get costly, so if that becomes an issue get creative. You could have his favorite team on the TV and make his favorite dinner, or watch Star Wars in costume, whatever you can do to bring him to where he wants to be.

There are an infinite amount of right and wrong holiday ideas for your boyfriend. Ultimately only you know what he likes, so just remember to make it about him and hope he does the same for you (if he doesn’t then let him know he owes you!).