andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

#AskAndy : Are They Interested In Me?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

With one semester closing a new one begins, and with it the promise of meeting new people.

Most single people wander into their new classes and situations with an extra purpose on their mind. It may not be at the forefront of our thoughts but we look at people as possible candidates for a position we want to fill: romance. However what do we do when the person we set our eyes on doesn’t seem quite so enthused?

I’m going to focus on five ways to tell that the relationship has ended before it began; after all, no one likes wasting time wanting what they can’t have.

1.      No Effort on Their Part: The simplest of initial signs that they aren’t the one is that they don’t return your interest. At this point it’s often better to quit while you’re ahead. Because if they don’t feel that way about you know, why force them?

(Via Google Images)

2.      Meeting in Public Places: Perhaps you two have a test coming up and in an attempt at being clever you invite them to a study date. If they respond with something like “Let’s go to my place” then you’ve succeeded. However a “Lets walk to the library” is a slap in the face. I’m not saying public places are the bane of relationship building, but they don’t help, especially if that’s all the more the two of you do.

(Via Google Images)

3.      Only Hanging Out With Friends: If the only time that you two genuinely hangout is with a group, or if they insist on inviting more people to what you expected to be a date, you have a problem on your hands.

(Via Google Images)

4.      Always Busy: Very few people are constantly busy, I mean so busy they have no time for romance. If you are ever offered this a reason why you two can’t see each other, take the hint.

(Via Google Images)

5.      Communication Breakdown: The dying breath of a relationship, the moment texts aren’t returned. This is often the most annoying and confusing one to endure. Often once we realize someone has cut us off; it’s already been going on for some time. From here you can either call them out on it, or accept it and move on.

(Via Google Images)

My goal is not to dissuade or discourage, but to arm you. With the knowledge of the declining traits of a relationship you will be able to jump ship sooner and swim toward worthier places. On the flip side, if you have encountered any of these and hated enduring it, think back on if you’ve ever done that to someone else. And perhaps in the future we can all just be more direct with people instead of dancing around hiding our intentions.