5 Reasons Why Country Music is NOT the Worst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

I’m just going to come out and confess it to the world… I LOVE country music. I have recently began to diversify my taste in music, but at the end of the day, I always go back to the same old songs I listened to riding around town with my dad when I was a kid. The majority of people seem to have recently started hating on country tunes. Here are some reasons why you should rethink your music preference. 

1. Perfect for the Summer Time

From slow dance songs to ones with a catchy beat, country music is the absolute best to play during the summer time. Whether you’re sitting around a campfire or on your way to the beach, there is a perfect song to put you in the right mood. 

2. Cruise Music

I personally love driving around by myself after a long week of school or a stressful day of getting work done. What better music to cruise around town with your windows down to? I have two different go-to stations that play the best songs for unwinding and appreciating the quiet.

3. Southern Anthem

I know, I know. Everyone assumes that every country song consists of “losing your dog, breakin’ hearts, and drinkin’ beer,” but if you really listen to the lyrics, you might be surprised at just how much they remind you of what it felt like to grow up in the South. Living in small towns and attending high school football games isn’t a rare situation for natives to the red dirt land.

4. Different Styles

As I was browsing through some music the other day in the car with my friend, we realized how different our taste in country music was. I like some of the newer, fast beat songs, but the old, slow country songs are what she adores. Over time there have been so many different artists that might appeal to those who prefer a certain style of tunes. You might hate the genre overall, but there are so many different singers/songwriters, you’re bound to find at least one you like.

5. Concerts

Ah, those country music festivals. From cute pictures with your friends to endless singers in cowboy hats, there is something for everyone to love at a hometown concert with your friends. Oklahoma, and the similar surrounding states, have show after show in the spring and into the summer time. Tickets are cheap, and the memories are priceless.

Country music will never please everyone. However, you might be surprised at what you found if you only gave it a chance.