5 Diseases That You May Not Have Heard Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

All information is courtesy of WebMD

1. Brucellosis

Brucellosis is a disease  that stems from the bacteria called Brucella. This bacteria is common in animals, but is known to spread to humans. The symptoms common to this disease, are flu-like, but can also cause night sweats, back pain, and weight loss. Differnt strains of the disease can cause chronic symptoms, and others can cause organ failure.

2. Gaucher’s Disease

Most commonly found in children, this disease causes problems with how your body gets rid of fat, which cause cause many symptoms from easy bruising to weaking of the bones. With the disease there is an enzyme in the fat that your body can not break down, therefore fat builds up in your liver and bone marrow.

3. Hasimoto’s Thyroiditis

Hasimoto’s Thyroiditis is a autoimmune disease, in which the immune system turn against the body and begins to attack the thyroid. Many cuase of this disease can be caused by your genes, hormones, excessive amounts of iodine, and raditation exposure. Symptoms of this disease can include, irregular menstrual cycles, hair loss, weight gain,depression, and paleness.

4. Pleurisy

Pleurisy is the swelling and inflammation of the thin layers of tissue that covers the lung and chest walls. An infection of the lower respiratory system can trigger this disease to come along, or air leaking into the pleural cavity through a whole in the lungs, can cause this disease also. Pleurisy can be diagnosed by looking for chest pain, viral infections, blood clots, or even tuberculosis.

5. Thrombocytopenia 

If you do not have enough platelets within your blood, then you might have been diagnosed as having Thrombocytopenia. Platelets are important as they clot your blood when you are bleeding. A normal person has 150,000 to 400,000 platelets within their blood, but someone who has Thrombocytopenia has less than 150,000 in their blood. Some symptoms of this disease are , bleeding from the nose or gums, red flat spots on your skin, and blotches and bruises on your skin.

All information is courtesy of WebMD

Jasmine Fain

OK State '19

Is a Senior at the BRIGHTEST campus in the nation Oklahoma State University. She is a Professional Writing major with a Minor in Linguistics. Check out her articles each week to keep up to date on the many fun things that OSU has to offer. In your spare time also check out her blog LIVINGWITHJ to catch a preview of her life!