19 Things I Learned in 19 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

After recently turning 19, I decided to reflect back onto my life up to this point. This is what I have learned over the years.

1) Be yourself.

I know, I know, we have all heard this a thousand times but that doesn’t make it any less important. Speaking from experience, I didn’t truly abide by this until recently, and even then I still struggle with it sometimes. Remember: it is always better to be disliked for you are, then to be liked for who you aren’t.

2) You are not obligated to remain friends with someone.

This one really hits home for me. Throughout my life I have had my share of toxic friendships. I only wish that I had realized sooner that I didn’t have to stay in these relationships. I didn’t owe anyone anything and neither do you. 

3) It’s okay not to be okay.

Life is a series of ups and downs which we will all inevitably experience. Don’t beat yourself up so much, your time will come.

4) Sleep on it.

I cannot stress this enough. When making any decision, writing any paper, or responding in anger, it always pays to sleep on it. Your perspective will be so much clearer, and often you will wake up with fresh ideas and solutions.

5) Go at your own pace.

In our social media driven world it is easy to feel inadequate. In a world of peer pressure you may feel like there are certain things you need to do by a certain age. Trust me, you don’t. It doesn’t matter what everyone else is doing. Only do things when and if you are ready for them.

6) You don’t have to find meaning in everything

But it can’t hurt to try. 

7) Trust your intuition.

It may save your life.

8) Don’t procrastinate.

I’ll be honest, I’m the worst at procrastinating. Every now and then though, I have a moment where I prioritize my time correctly and you know what? The sense of accomplishment feels amazing. 

9) Most things get better with time.

The friend drama you’re stressed about today probably won’t even be on your radar a year from now. 

10) Learn what is within your control and let everything else go.

We can only control ourselves and that should be our main focus.

11) Self-care is vital. 

Take care of yourself. Please.

12) Adjust your expectations.

Stop expecting everything from everyone. Your friend that always invites you out on Saturday nights but is nowhere to be found when you need advice? She’s probably not going to be your shoulder to cry on and that is okay. Reevaluate your expectations and avoid disappointment.

13) Get out of your comfort zone.

Even if it is just saying hello to a stranger, try your best to push yourself every day. 

14) Welcome change.

Change is the only constant thing in our world. Learn to embrace it.

15) Take a step back every once in a while.

Often we get too close to our problems to see the big picture. Take a step back and change your perspective.

16) You don’t have to have your whole life figured out.

At the risk of sounding cliché, the journey, not the destination, is really the point. So you don’t know where exactly you want to end up yet. In the meantime stop stressing about it and enjoy your life. 

17) Maintain an open mind.

It is important to stand for something and stand firm in your beliefs but don’t become closed off to those around you. You never know what you may be missing out on. 

18) Say no.

You’re allowed to, I promise. 

19) Laugh at yourself.

Life’s too short to take yourself and the world around you too seriously.

What life lessons have you learned over the years? Comment down below!