10 Habits You Need by the Time You Graduate College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OK State chapter.

The adult world is approaching fast, for some it’s quicker than others, either way, there are some skills and habits that can’t be taught in class. Here is a list of habits I think that a person needs to be successful.

1. Budgeting

Yes you hear this all the time but it’s a serious thing. You got to limit your coffee and fast food intake.

2. Being punctual.

Nobody likes a tardy or flakey person. Get your stuff together and be on time.

3. Learning to read a recipe.

You can’t survive on cereal or pasta forever. Learn to read a recipe so you can learn how to make some healthy delish dishes.

4. Deciphering what is real and not real on the internet.

The internet is a huge part of our lives, there’s no way around it. Do your research before reposting or believing something. Check multiple sources just to be sure.

5. How to appropriately show your personality on social media.

Please don’t be that person people roll their eyes at on social media. Cussing for no reason, long posts all the time, and repeatedly commenting or sharing the same thing is boring. Show who you are but be classy.

6. Small Talk

You have to talk to strangers and be able to do it well, no matter what your job is. It’s awkward for everyone, so just do it. Have five interesting questions that you wouldn’t mind asking a stranger that would leave a good impression of yourself.

7. Owning a wardrobe in between t-shirts and interview professional clothes.

This hard one, it’s good to be comfy but you need cute casual clothes because you never know when you’re going to need it.

8. Sleep Management

As sad as it is, you can’t stay up all night in the big world than sleep all day. It’s not a thing you’ll have things to do. Start getting in the habit of waking up at a decent a hour even on the weekend.

9. Do your laundry on a weekly basis.

It’s never a good thing to be on your last pair of socks or underwear.

10. Take those random opportunities.

You only have one life here on earth. Make the most of every single day, you won’t regret the memories.

This is only a small list of things you need before graduation. Hopefully it will help you be successful post-college.

Student at Oklahoma State University