Why You Should Wear Nail Polish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

People pay attention to hands. This isn’t groundbreaking information, but we as a society care about appearance – this includes the appearance of our most used limb: our hands.

How can we make our hands prettier, you ask? Nail polish.

Nail polish has been around for thousands of years.  It originated in China around 3000 B.C., and it’s been used consistently since then.

Nail polish has come a long way since ancient China, though. From Essie to OPI to Ciaté, nail companies profit from creating beautiful, shiny colors that glide on smoothly and last several days on our nails.

Nail polish has the ability to make a person feel more poised and confident. When several college-aged women were asked why they wear nail polish, the most common response was to look more put together.

Nail polish can convey any message; you may want people to think you’re fun, classy, or even vampy based on your nail color.

Photo courtesy: nicolereviewsbeauty.com

Bright colors can brighten up your outfit or your day. Neon pink or yellow nail polish is definitely the way to go if you want to be able to look at your hands and regain some pep in your step.

Neutrals give off a totally different vibe – classy and professional ladies typically reach for the nudes and baby pinks more often. Neutrals go with everything and can make your fingers look longer and leaner.

Deep, dark, vampy shades are powerful. Messing with a girl who is wearing blood red on her nails probably isn’t the smartest idea. Business means business with dark nail shades.

Nail polish is widely used because of its versatility; there’s something for everyone no matter your personality or mood. Not to mention the fact that nail polish is not permanent, so as you change, your nails can too!

If you want to switch up your look, start by switching up your nail shade. It may be simple, but it’s definitely noticeable. Nail shades have the power to transform an entire look fast.

If you’re a nail polish connoisseur, it’s likely that men and women alike will see that you’ve taken a little time to pamper yourself – whether that is by giving yourself an at-home mani or by taking a trip to the salon.

Photo courtesy: well.blogs.nytimes.com

Nail polish is a way to express your personality, and everyone should take full advantage of this classic craze.

Do you have a nail polish brand or color you obsess over?! Tag @HerCampusOhioU on Instagram and we’ll repost our fave!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano