Why OU Professors Are The Best During Fest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

(The opinions presented in this article are soley the authors view point and do not necessarily reflect HCOU or Ohio University)

Most of my friends from other schools have been stressed to the max between midterms and worrying about final project deadlines quickly sneaking up. I’ve had multiple friends say their professors enforced attendance the Friday before spring break, gave a pop quiz the day after break and even had midterms after their vacation had drained all academic related material.

In Athens this doesn’t seem to be a huge trend and fest season may be to thank. Sure, there are some unfortunate souls who have a sour professor here and there, but overall OU profs give a little leeway during spring semester.

(Photo courtesy of https://image.spreadshirtmedia.net)

Many professors have gotten smart over the years and have realized that cancelling class or letting students out early on a Friday afternoon class might be their best option. It’s become apparent that students prioritize their fests. This means many students either don’t show up or come intoxicated for class. Either way, nothing is getting done that day.

Another popular opinion, for both professors and students, is to move deadlines to the middle or end of the week. This way quality work still comes in making it less painful for the professor to grade projects and it is a lot more rewarding for students to turn in their assignments before they can party away their weekend. You think it’s a coincidence most of your exams and presentations are on Wednesday and Thursday this spring semester? Think again.

(Photo courtesy of http://i.dailymail.co.uk)

It’s no surprise that many of the professors here love Athens just as much as their students. While many other schools believe us Bobcats aren’t busy or forget we have to get an education they don’t realize that many of the assignments turn into tasks outside of the classroom. The same expectations are still required, but many profs grant their students with the trust that they’ll put in the effort to still learn in return for their favors. No offense, but most other universities wouldn’t trust their students that much.

So next time you notice your exam is moved or you get let out after a 20 minute lecture be sure to appreciate it and thank your professors. Fest season really is something only Bobcats understand.

Ohio University Class of 2018 Strategic Communications  Just a small town girl with big city dreams
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!