bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Weekly Recipe (Served with Benefits)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Snacking can seem unavoidable and once a craving starts, it can be nearly impossible to ignore. Why not give in to temptation? When it comes to snacking, portion size and what you reach for makes all the difference in your selection. Even when choosing something that leans more toward the healthy side, it doesn’t mean that it still doesn’t taste good! Peanut butter oatmeal granola bites burst with flavor and with nutritious benefits. There is no baking required and the recipe supplies your body with protein and energy!

What you need:

·       1 cup oats

·       ⅔ cup toasted shredded coconut

·       ½ cup peanut butter

·       ½ cup mini chocolate chips

·       ⅓ cup honey

·       1 tbsp. chia seeds

·       1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

·       Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.

·       Roll and compress the mixture into 1-inch rounds and place on parchment paper

·       Refrigerate a few minutes until firm and then transfer to an air-tight container.

·       Refrigerate and enjoy for up to one week.

The Benefits:

Oats are loaded with health benefits. They contain a fiber known as beta-glucan, which is helpful in lowering cholesterol. It is also proven to stabilize blood sugar. One nutritious element that oats contain is phosphorus. Phosphorus is helpful with the flow of energy, maintaining strong bones and creating protein.

As a pure, natural substance, honey is also a healthy ingredient found in this recipe. It is proven that honey contains some of the essential vitamins and minerals that our bodies need. They include vitamin C, calcium and iron.  It’s important to include iron in the diet in order to stay fit, healthy and energetic. In addition, vitamin C works to strengthen the body’s resistance to infection and enhances the immune system. This vitamin works so that we are less likely to get sick and makes sure we are protected from colds and coughs. Lastly, calcium strengthens bones and teeth. This mineral ensures that bones retain their shape, prevents from the presence of back pain and aids in proper body movement.

This week’s recipe was found on Get Creative Juice’s site. Be sure to visit their site for more healthy snack ideas!

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano