This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Hoping Cupid will strike that special hottie with an arrow of love? Personally I’ve lost faith in the archer of love, so be your own cupid this year by creating this Cupid’s Arrow Valentine! Hold steady, aim, and you’ll always pierce a winner. Get going, ya love bug!

What you’ll need:
1. One medium-sized stick (find one right outside!)
2. Red, white, and pink string or yarn
3. Red felt (one 8X11 sheet is fine)
4. A sheet of unlined paper
5. A pen
6. A lighter or matches
7. A sewing machine needle (or a needle with an eye that’s big enough to thread the yarn)
8. Scissors

What to do:
1. Start by wrapping your string around the stick in various spots until it reaches about an inch of color. End with tight knots and snip the excess string with scissors. It doesn’t matter what colors go where, this is up to you!

2. Cut out two matching felt hearts (about two inches wide, this will be the arrow head)

3. Begin to sew the edges of your two hearts together with pink string/yarn starting a little to the right of the v-dip top of the heart. Before reaching your starting point, slip the stick into the top of the heart and wrap the remaining string/yarn around the stick until firmly attached.

4. Cut out two matching 3-4 inch long trapezoid shapes out of the felt.

5. Attach the bases of the trapezoid pieces at the same time with a single string, stitching through both of the trapezoid edges and around the stick. Make sure the two line up correctly when sewing; this part can be a bit tricky!

6. Rip each side off of a piece of paper so you are left with a 5X7 “note”

7. Careful here! Slightly burn the edges of the note with a lighter for a decorative effect.

8. Write what you wish inside the note. For example, mine says, “You’ve been struck. Be mine?”

9. Roll the note up and attach it to the arrow with a piece of string/warn

*10. For extra awesomeness, attach a bag of candy along with the note!

Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.