This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Whether you are going on a fancy date with your boyfriend or having a girls’ night in with your best friends, it is important to look your best (because selfies, duh). It isn’t too hard to throw on something lacy and red, but it can be harder to decide how to put on your best face. Red lipstick? Pink lipstick? Winged eyeliner? What am I doing?! Don’t panic, collegiette. We’ve got you covered.

1.     Romantic Dinner for Two

Your sweetie is taking you to a fancy spot for dinner. You have the perfect dress, great heels, and voluminous curls. For a formal evening, dramatic makeup is the best option. Use a neutral colored eyelid primer to make your eyelids flawless. This will make black winged eyeliner pop. Pair with a bold lip color for a vivid look. If your dress is black or a neutral color, you can choose pink or red for your lips. If your dress is red, go with red lipstick. If your dress is pink, pair it with a matching pink lipstick. It may seem that this will be too much of one color, but the monochromatic shades complement each other and are a pretty look.

2.     Movies With Your Boo

Maybe you and your love are going to check out 50 Shades of Grey on Valentine’s Day. Munching on buttery popcorn can be a mess if you are wearing lipstick, so opt for a nude lip. Since your lips will be bare or covered with a sheer layer of tinted lip balm, it is a good idea to play up those gorgeous eyes. Any variation of a smoky eye will suffice. To show your festiveness, use a highlight color on the inner corner of your eyes, a pink or rose gold tint on the lower lid, and a shade of purple in the outer corner of your eyes and blend the purple into the crease for the dramatic smoky look. Smudge a black or dark purple liner into a wing shape on your eyelid near the lash line, and smudge a little bit of liner in the water line of your eye for added sexiness. Two or three coats of mascara will finalize the look.

3.     Girls’ Night

Whether you are crying over sappy movies or laughing so hard that tears run down your cheeks, you aren’t going to love having makeup smeared all over your face. Waterproof products are important. Bare lips are vital so you don’t make a mess of lip product while you feast on pizza and chocolates. A thin line of waterproof eyeliner along with volumizing waterproof mascara will make your eyes pop in a pretty, natural way.

4.     Anything else?!

Maybe you are hitting the club with your man or your girls. Or maybe you are going home and having dinner with your family. Maybe you are lying in bed and staying faithful to Netflix. Planning your makeup for any activity starts with a fresh face. Apply your foundation as you normally do. If you are spending time with your computer or your family, you can go with a neutral look. Just a little liner, if any, and one or two coats of mascara will do the trick. If you are headed out of the house, simply swipe on bold lipstick to amp up your neutral look.

Tag us on Instagram or Twitter @hercampusohiou to show us your Valentine’s Day makeup!

Paige is a student studying Journalism, Social Media, and Women's Studies at Ohio University. She is actively involved with Her Campus Ohio U and Thread Magazine. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @paige__rochelle (two underscores!)
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean. E.W. Scripps School of Journalism kid. Avid explorer. Puppy (and all things fluffy) lover.  Twitter: @Taylor_Stano & Instagram: @TayStano