toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Uptown October Events and Bar Specials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

With Halloween being just around the corner, we’ve gathered up a few entertaining things to do in Athens for the upcoming week or so. This is one of the best times of year for a lot of us, the seasons are changing and the leaves are changing colors, bonfire and hoodie season is upon us and creeping up fast. Here’s another fun fact, did you know that our block party is ranked as #3 in the nation? New Years Eve in Times Square is number one, followed by Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and we come stumbling around the corner at number 3! Enjoy this rare opportunity to experience your college nightlife! Grab your pumpkin spiced latte or spiked apple cider and get out there to make some great autumn memories!

Block Party 2013
After weeks of waiting, the band schedule for this year’s block party has finally been released! There will be THREE stages this year! North stage will be located on State Street, South stage on Union, and a Costume stage on Court street in Cornwell Lot (by Lucky’s). The party will begin with opening announcements at 7PM. The bands scheduled to play are as follows:

South Stage:
8:00 PM Dadarm
 9:30 PM Uptown Buddha
11:00 PM Burning River Ramblers
12:30 AM Jones for Revival

North Stage:
7:30 PM Manotoa
9:00 PM Holy Spicoli
10:00 PM Costume Contest Winners
10:30 PM Dave Rave
12:00 AM Broom Slang

Costume Stage:
6:00 PM Contest starts with three main categories. Gift cards and prizes available.
 11:00 PM Contests End

Jackie O’s
Jackie O’s, my personal favorite, has a new list of daily specials, along with concerts almost every Friday and Saturday night. With a great atmosphere, personable bartenders, laid back music, and a spacious back patio, this may be the perfect destination to spend after the block party festivities. Not to mention that their house brewed beers are amazing! I recommend Razz Wheat or, one of their newest, Imperial Razz. Make sure not to pass up these specials and concerts going on.
Specials
EveryDay Power Hour $2 Select House Drafts from 8pm-9pm
Monday $8 House Pitchers
Tuesday $2 Guinness Pints
Wednesday $2 Well Drinks
Thursday $1.50 Domestics
Friday $2 Craft Cans
Sunday .75 cents off guest drafts
Concerts
SassafraZ w/ Manitoa will be playing live music on October 25th, 2013. If you like soul music and moving to the beat, I suggest you check these guys out. They are fun and relaxing, great mood music for talking over a cocktail.
Uptowne Buddha, an eccentric hip-hop/funk/jazz/jam group, will be playing after the block party celebrations on October 26th, 2013. With a great mixture of smooth jazz and hip hop, this band is great to let loose and dance around to.

The Overhang
Claimed as the newest bar in town, The Overhang has a daily special for every Monday through Friday and live music performances almost every weekend trying to bring in the local crowds. Come on in and welcome this new bar as one of our own, or even book your band to play on their renovated, beautiful stage!
Specials
Monday ManDay: $2.50 Moonshine, $1 PBR and Busch
Tuesday $1.50 Tequila, $2 Mexican Beers
Wednesday Ladies Night!: $2.50 Specialty Drinks, $2 Candy Shots. DJ and Dancing after 10pm
Thursday $1.50 Bud and Bud Light bottle, ½ off wings from 8pm-10pm
Friday $1.75 Well Drinks, $2.50 TGIF F-Bombs
Concerts
Appalachian Hillside Revolution will be performing a FREE SHOW on October 18th, 2013 from 9pm until 12am. Aiming to please, these guys are a new revolution to the Athens underground in music. Be sure to check them out!
Ben Knight and The Well Diggers will also be performing a FREE SHOW on the next day, October 19th, 2013 from 9pm until 12am. With a country and soul background in music influences, this should be a great time to sit around and jam to! 

Athens Underground
The local thrift shop, Athens Underground, will be having their fifth annual Halloween costume contest on Sunday, November 3rd. This is an online/facebook deal, but the winner gets a $100 gift card to their store! So add them on facebook and don’t forget to check this out for all of you original and unique costume makers, this contest is for unpackaged costumes only. They’re looking for the best of the best in Athens!

Poet. Lush. Sweetheart.