This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

If you’ve fallen victim to a Gilmore Girls binge or are simply caught up in a frenzy of finals, odds are you’ve turned to coffee as your source of caffeine on more than one occasion. While reaching for the Lorealis’ beverage of choice is a no-brainer during the chilly winter months, you should consider making a cup of tea your finals week pick-me-up instead of downing another latte.

Here are five reasons why you should swap your morning coffee fix for this deli-tea-ful alternative:

1. It won’t leave you with coffee breath.

While HealthLine states that coffee combines with the bacteria in your mouth to produce enamel-eroding acid that stains teeth and leaves lingering halitosis, tea has actually been proven to combat the bacteria that causes bad breath. In fact, individuals who regularly drink green tea have less cavities and healthier gums than their coffee-drinking counterparts, according to Best Health Magazine.

1. It contains tons of flavor without tons of sugar.

Sure, Starbucks (and other local coffee shops) are famous for their seasonal concoctions, but let’s face it—the amount of syrupy sugar that makes your grande decaf peppermint soy blah blah blah taste even moderately like the “perfect winter day” is really just a recipe for the perfect poison spice latte.

Instead of guzzling hundreds of unnecessary calories every time you caffeinate, try sipping one of the hundreds of different tea varieties on the market. If you’re craving something fruity, check out Celestial’s Fruit Tea Sampler. If you’ve got a taste for something bolder, try a cup of Bigelow’s Earl Grey. Between green tea, black tea, white tea and herbal tea, you’re bound to find a flavor you like.

(And yes, Tazo even makes a pumpkin spice chai tea.)

1. It will make you feel better.

The hundreds of tea varieties aren’t just perfect for satisfying your need for a flavorful beverage. Since tea is essentially just water flavored by various combinations of herbs and spices, each glass provides a boost of antioxidants while helping you stay hydrated.

While green tea has been known to improve cholesterol levels and increase metabolism levels, studies have shown that black tea helps improve concentration and may help reduce the risk of stroke. Chamomile tea is perfect for calming upset stomachs, combating common cold symptoms and clearing up skin, and sipping peppermint tea has been known to relax the mind and improve digestion.

1. It requires zero effort to prepare.

While the perfect cup of coffee requires a Keurig, traditional coffee maker or a trip to Starbucks, all you need is water, a microwave and your favorite bag of tea for the perfect brew. Need another added bonus? A 20-count box of Lipton Green Tea costs only $2.36, meaning that you can caffeinate twenty mornings at half the cost of a single Starbucks latte.

1. It provides a daily dose of inspiration.

Sure, coffee is a great pick-me-up in and of itself, but when is the last time it gave you a few words of wisdom? Yogi, one of my favorite brands of tea, puts inspirational messages on their teabag’s tags—a fun, mood-boosting touch that makes for a far less cliché snap than an overpriced cup of coffee.

Whether you like it hot, iced, green, black, white or herbal, this classic beverage is the perfect companion as you cozy up by the fire this winter break—as John Lennon (kinda) said, “Give teas a chance!”

All photos courtesy of the author

Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!