Study Abroad: how to travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

Traveling anywhere can be stressful. Making sure you have enough gas; that your suitcase doesn’t weigh more than the allotted amount; double checking you packed your toothbrush. But traveling in another country adds a whole new stress of making sure you understand the language.

Having traveled to Playa del Carmen and Mahahual, and planning on going to Tulum, my weekends in Mexico have been pretty busy. Even with excursions planned by the professors on the trip can be a little exhausting.

With class being held every Friday, it can be a little difficult planning a weekend trip since some peoples don’t think it’s worth it to be somewhere for two days. The weather is also a huge factor; almost everywhere I’ve gone has had a 30 percent chance of rain every weekend—it never rained. Toca la madera (knock on wood) it never does!   

First thing is deciding how you want to travel. Airfare being so expensive, this trip has been bus-only mode of transportation. Although buses are a tad bit slower than other modes of travel, you can kick back and relax on the voyage. Be sure you know how to purchase the bus tickets too; my host father called the bus station and ordered tickets for me and my roommate, but you can also buy bus tickets at the station—just be sure to get there early so the bus isn’t sold out! Both Playa del Carmen and Mahahual were about four-five hours away from Mérida, so the bus ride wasn’t too excruciatingly long. Bring a book to read (homework, anyone?) or do your best at understanding the English-dubbed-Spanish movie that is playing.

To lessen the stress of traveling, take out money before heading out and exploring. Whether you need dollars or pesos, make sure you’re taking out the amount you need. This can depend on what you plan on doing: snorkeling, seeing museums, eating, bar hopping, heading out to the clubs, etc. Some of the places congested with tourists, like Cancún will trick you into paying more for something because of being a gringo (slang for American), but other places that haven’t been put on the tourist radar yet will give you the best deals—just be sure to impress everyone by speaking Spanish!

Speaking Spanish will be the least of your stress when it comes to lodging. When most people travel, a hotel is the first choice in sleeping arrangements. Being a poor college student, hotels are a tad bit too expensive when traipsing about Mexico. That’s where hostels come in. Now, I know what you’re thinking, “I’ve seen Hostel, there’s no way in hell I’m staying in one!” but youth hostels are one of the places you can meet the friendliest people—and save a lot of dinero while traveling. If traveling in a group, typically try to find a room with as many beds as you need, that way you can guarantee you’ll be with people you know and trust. However, if you want to meet people from all over the world such as Sweden, France and Australia, then go ahead and book three beds in the 14-bed dorm. Just be sure if you’re not comfortable with strangers around to bring a lock for your stuff.

Since hostels are so cheap, don’t expect a five-star meal anytime during the day. Most hostels only offer breakfast, and even then it is typically toast or cereal. This means you’ll need to scour around for food. My advice? Stay away from American places like Burger King or Starbucks. Yes, they may be a comforting sight knowing you’ll actually eat something off the menu, but you don’t get the full experience of where you’re traveling if you don’t sample the local cuisine. Even if you’re not sure what you’re eating (I learned the hard way cangrejo means crab), you’re able to figure out what you do like and you’ll have a new story to share when you get back home.

Carly Wiita is currently on study abroad in Mexico. Pictures are courtesy of her adventures.

Senior magazine journalism and Spanish major at Ohio University.
Hillary Johns is a Senior at Ohio University majoring in magazine journalism in the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism, with a split specialization in French and sociology. She is beyond excited to be a part of the Her Campus Team! She can often be found with her nose stuck in a book, most likely Harry Potter, or writing her own adventures. Hillary has a deep love of travelling and her favorite place in the world in Boston, MA. She hopes to someday pursue a career in communications and journalism.