This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.
Stacy Nadeau recently spoke at Ohio University on Oct. 2 in Baker Ballroom as part of Love Yourself Week

We have all seen the ads in magazines and on billboards for Dove’s Real Beauty Campaign, started in 2004. The advertisements feature unretouched and awe-inspiring models of all sizes that are completely comfortable in their own skin. 

Who, you may wonder, are these incredible women? One of the shining faces is that of Stacy Nadeau. 
As a student at DePaul University in the heart of Chicago, a modeling agent and Dove representative approached Nadeau on her way to work one day and asked her to audition for a part in the campaign. Little did she know this peculiar encounter would mark the start of a new chapter in her life and create a new passion.

The first billboard was unveiled in Times Square in 2005, triggering incredibly positive and heartwarming reactions from women everywhere. After appearances on CNN, Ellen, the Tyra Banks Show, the Today Show, and Oprah (twice), Nadeau began a campaign of her own.

She travels around the country speaking to women at universities like ours to teach us to embrace real beauty, on a mission to “make more women feel beautiful every day.” Nadeau left every female in the audience with their own final mission for embracing each new day: “be your own best healthy self.”

Written by: Emma Schoonmaker

Meredith is a junior at Ohio University and Campus Coorespondent for Her Campus Ohio U. She is majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Marketing. Her hobbies include dreaming about traveling, drinking unhealthy amounts of coffee, and driving her pink car. You can follow her on Twitter (@Mere_Broadwater) and Instagram (@meredithbroad).