This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ohio U chapter.

After logging onto Netflix, you browse your normal selections and can either choose a show you have finished for the 17th time or you could delve deep into a new series that will draw you in so close, you imagine you are part of it. That is what Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events will do.

Photo courtesy of IMDB.com

Eight episodes. That is all you get in the first season. When I began the series, I wasn’t expecting to become so utterly enthralled in the drama of Violet, Klaus and Sunny. At first I was like “This is kinda weird? I don’t know how to feel.” Series was such a huge part of my childhood; the books transported me to this other dimension that seemed impossible yet exciting.

It begins by telling you to “look away,” but I urge the opposite. Watch the episodes, and watch them multiple times. Become a part of the Baudelaire family and feel the pain the children go through.

(Photo courtesy of variety.com)

Neil Patrick Harris has never been better. I am one of those people who still see actors as themselves and I can never really picture them as the characters they are portraying. But Harris takes a whole new leap into acting, fully convincing me he is Count Olaf and is as awful and conniving as the Count actually is. It was absolutely incredible. His lanky body and spindly legs make him spider-esque, masking his normal fun nature and turning him into a person who you hate to love and love to hate.

The children they got to be the Baudelaire children are wonderful actors. They personify the characters from the books perfectly, and make you feel as if they are the kids you want to watch after, since their parents died in a tragic fire and all. You want to hold their hands as they watch relative after relative perish, you want to help them solve the mysteries that they are thrown into.

(Photo courtesy of IMDB.com)

I cannot express how much I love this series. It is witty, the characters are loveable no matter how terrible and the plot is classic. The music they have is strangely catchy, even though it is dark and twisted. I recommend this to literally everyone, no matter what shows you normally watch. And I apologize for the torrent of emotions you will feel, but I can guarantee you will be on the edge of your seat the entire time.

Just a colorful girl living in a black and white world
Just a quirky fashion journalist trying to get it right!